Late year starting....where to begin?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Late year starting....where to begin?

cnrayne is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Late year starting....where to begin?

I am just starting schooling my first grader. I looked up several places on where to start if you are starting late. The majority of places, including the T4L webinar, said to have him take the chapter tests and that would be a good indication of what he already knows and where to have him start. That all sounds great and worked for his math but....there are no chapter tests for first grade language arts. There isn't even a quiz until the middle of chapter 13! Does anyone have any other suggestions to help know how to get him started without having him do the entire year's lessons. He is already a reader so him trying to do lessons that teach him a letter sound is redundant to him. Thanks for your input.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! If your student is already reading well enough that he needs no further phonics practice, you can just skip those lessons. Look at the lesson plans within your parent login to see what each lesson covers. Some readers can still benefit by additional phonics practice, so be sure he has committed the sounds to his long term memory before you skip them.

You can also put him in grade two language arts, where the lessons begin introducing phonics blends as well as the individual sounds. If he is a very proficient reader, he can even work at grade three level in language arts.

Another option, since he already reads well, is to consider the end of this school year a "review" time for language arts and just allow him to do whatever lessons he chooses to do within the first grade language arts curriculum.

If he is a reader, but not reading proficiently, you might want to look at the lesson plans and give him a little oral quiz of your own regarding the letter sounds/phonics blends in each lesson. Make note of the ones he does not know and assign only those lessons. You can't do that with the activity scheduler. The easiest way I've found to do this is to print the lesson plans and circle the lesson activity numbers of the lessons I want my child to do. Then, show him how to type the lesson activity number into the Activity Finder after he logs in to his account to get the lesson to appear.

Here is the link to the webinar you mentioned, in case anyone who would like to view it is reading this thread:

Starting Mid-Year
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!