Middle school science(s)?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Middle school science(s)?

SnickerJunky is offline Junior Member

Default Middle school science(s)?

I see that there are several different kinds of middle school science. Are these to do extra? Or can they be done in place of the general science that is created in the activity scheduler? I am just not really impressed much by the 5th grade science so far, and it seems like any of the other choices would be more interesting!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The middle school science is new, and it is great! They are definitely not "extra". They are another science choice for middle school students. You would do one instead of fifth grade science. Each of the courses is designed to last a traditional school year, except Nature of Science. Nature of Science is supplemental, and can be used along with one of the other courses or prior to one of the other courses. If you schedule Nature of Science for the whole school year, you end up doing one or two lessons per week. It covers things you need to know for any science course . . . such as safety, how to read graphs and other data, how to measure things, the scientific method, designing experiments and so forth.

Most of the MS science lessons run for almost half an hour, but they are presented in fun five or six minute segments. My middle daughter is doing Nature of Science this year and she loves it. Definitely check these out. They are far superior to the "old" science lessons.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yay!! This will make things MUCH more interesting, I'm sure, lol! Thanks!

OK, so I'm trying to redo his activity scheduler..how do I switch the science part so the lessons come up for him on his page? I see that I can choose not to include the standard science, but how do I get Earth and Space science in its place?

Edited~Nevermind, I figured it out!!
    Last edited by SnickerJunky; 09-05-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Does Earth and Space Science show up in his launchpad?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I clicked MS Earth and Space science and it looks like it's including Nature of Science with this when I go back to the Activity Scheduler. Is that what it's supposed to do? I was selecting the start points for each subject because I want him to continue where he is with his other subjects, but start the science from the beginning, and the scheduler seems to want to start everything over if I let it generate its own schedule.

Blog Entries

Many of the features on the Activity Scheduler are new this year, so it can be ticklish. The scheduler itself has only been around a couple of years. I was able to schedule JUST Nature of Science for my daughter.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are trying to do. It sounds like you are saying Nature of Science is included in your schedule, even though you only want Earth and Space Science? Have you checked off the subjects you want included? Was there a space to uncheck Nature of Science?

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I'm very unimpressed with the scheduler so far. The simple fact that it can't be used to schedule "school breaks" makes it pretty worthless for me. I'm better off sitting down with a calender and manually calculating how many weeks we'll be having school (after subtracting out the Jewish holidays etc) and seeing how many activities there are in each subject and telling Jack how many of each subject to do each week. I just don't yet have a calender in the house that goes past this month....

I plan to let Jack take a look at each of the available middle school sciences and let him pick one. I don't care which one, but I want him to do one of them in its entirety this school year. We'll still visit planetariums and watch interesting documentaries as they come up, whether or not it fits in with his curriculum, but I want him to have "the basics" covered for the sake of NYS law and other adults in my life.
    Last edited by Ruth_Lanton; 09-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Blog Entries

Ruth, the scheduling was done manually, just as you describe, for many years. The activity scheduler was added because so many parents requested it. You can schedule breaks now, which is new this year. There is no reason you can't continue to do it manually. Time4Learning provides a lot of resources for parents. You can pick and choose what works best for you.

I didn't check the Nature of Science at all and it included it in the scheduler. But it's doable, so that is the least of my problems today.

This morning when we checked our activity scheduler, it said that for language arts we would be starting lesson R5054, which seemed odd, because when I had planned it at the end of last week, it said R5017. So he opened his lessons and that was still where it should be, on R5017. Suffixes. So I had him do that, but now I don't know what to do with the scheduler. I tried redoing it, and it still gives me R5054 for this week, which is the middle of chapter 3. It's very confusing for him to check his activity scheduler first before going to his lessons when he can't even find that lesson because he isn't there yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast