Need help getting started!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoGreaterJoyx7

Thread: Need help getting started!

Default Need help getting started!

Just joined and have signed up two of my kids (8th grade and high school). One of the main reasons I signed up with T4L is that, now that I have to work full-time, I do not have a lot of time and want to make the most of the time I have especially with the children I have at home. This, to me, does not seem very user-friendly once you have paid. I was hoping for a "step-by-step this is how you set things up" approach but am spending WAY too much time trying to figure out my next step. I have already decided that I want to switch my daughter's earth science to physical science but cannot figure out how that is done. I need to know after paying, adding my children and selecting which classes they will be taking, what are the next steps? Do I plan what days they do which classes or do they just log in and go for it?! Is there a syllabus of sorts or an outline that tells me what subjects will be covered? I just need a little push in the right direction and I think I will be good to go!
    TEinNH likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Many people join T4L because the lessons are designed to be done independently and they are looking for a self-running program. I just love the analogy I once read. Time4Learning is self-running the same way a dishwasher is! You no longer have to wash and dry the dishes, but someone needs to load the machine, add soap, and start it up! They may decide they need to rinse a few things first.

Time4Learning can be done pretty much independently by students your kids' age . . . once you get everything set up. Of course, any student needs someone they can go to if they don't understand something. In homeschooling, since the parent is the teacher of record, that will be you.

To switch courses, log in to your parent account and select Change Grade Level under Make Changes to My Account. Then select Ready to Make Changes. (In your case, you will just be switching from one middle school science course to another middle school science course, so you won't be changing grade levels . . . but this where any course changes are made). Select your student's name in the left sidebar. Under Science, you will see the available courses. Select one and click Change Grade Levels.

The change will be made within 24 hours, except on weekends and holidays. They are done manually by staff, so non-weekdays may take longer.

There is a scope and sequence within your parent login. After you have logged in, just click on Go to Lesson Plans under Parent Resources and How-to Videos. Click on the number of activities in the column/row that corresponds to the subject/grade level you are interested in. You will be brought to a page that details each lesson activity.

Some parents look at the number of activities available in each subject and estimate how many their child will need to do to "finish" a grade level in a certain amount of time. Then, they just tell their child, "Do two language arts, two social studies, three math, and one science each day" or something like that. To find the "next" activity in line, your student should click on the first unchecked icon when he or she has logged into a subject (i.e. "Language Arts"). He will be brought to another page of icons, where he should also click the first one that is not checkmarked. Continue clicking the first un-checked icon until he gets to an activity. To do another activity in the same subject, start the process over.

There is also an activity scheduler within your parent login, which basically does the math for you and tells you how many activities in each subject your student should do each day to meet your time goals. Log in to your parent account, select your student's name under Student Activity Schedule, and click Create/Access Activity Plan. There are links to videos on how to use the activity scheduler at the top, right once you are logged in to it.

Please let us know if you have any more difficulty getting started. Once your kids have started their lessons, it's recommended that you print a weekly report for each of them, so you can discover anything they might be confused about.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!