Needing help to know how much to expect out of my child daily
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Needing help to know how much to expect out of my child daily

jennicholas14 is offline Junior Member

Default Needing help to know how much to expect out of my child daily

Hello, I am new to this and want to make sure I am doing it right. does anyone have a sample daily and weekly lesson plan? Also what do I have to cover for a 5th grader in utah? I have looked online and nothing seems to make sense or is clear enough to understand....

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jen. Here's some information about homeschooling in Utah. You might also want to check the Utah parents' group here on the Time4Learning parent forum.

Here are step-by-step instructions for using the activity planner, as well as an article that gives a little advice about how long your student's homeschool day should be. How Long is a Homeschool Day?

As a general guideline for the fifth grade level, most of the lesson activities won't take more than 15 minutes, except for the middle school science lessons. The running time on those is up to half an hour.

Now you can use the activity planner, see how many activities it comes up with in a week, and estimate the amount of time those activities will take. If you think there are too many, use the option to select specific activities instead of including all of them in your plan. The link I gave you above, about how to use the planner, explains how to do that.

Hope this helps get you started! Sometimes it feels like we homeschool moms do more studying than our kids, doesn't it?
    Saudi and jennicholas14 like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

step_emm is offline Junior Member

What does N/A mean ? should there be a test score there ? thank you

jennicholas14 is offline Junior Member

Thank you that did help me a lot!!!! Could you tell me by any chance what things I HAVE to cover day to day? I keep seeing science, social Studies, LA extensions, Language Arts, and Math, commonly, but is there more I should be doing outside of the Time4learning curriculum?

Blog Entries

step_emm, N/A means "not applicable". In the actual reports, it means the activity isn't graded. Some activities are intended to teach, not to assess. The teaching activities will not be graded. Think of them as similar to a teacher standing up in front of the class, explaining how to do something. Students aren't graded on that.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Jenn, an education is a personal thing. One of the great things about homeschooling is that, as the teacher, you can customize your child's experience. Math, language, science and social studies are core subjects that every student should probably take. Most younger students will need penmanship and some arts and crafts activities to develope fine motor skills. Older kids can benefit from casual parental instruction in cooking, auto mechanics, and so forth. A lot of kids take music lessons, participate in organized sports, have a part time job, do Scouts or 4H. All of these are part of their education.

You can also choose to add other curriculum you find, such as foreign language study or any number of other things.

A few states require certain subjects to be taught, such as a state study or good citizenship. I just took a quick peek at Utah's homeshcool laws, and they leave the choice of subjects up to the parent.

Hope this helps. You probably know best what your student needs.