new and confused
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: new and confused

Default new and confused

This is our 7th year homeschooling, but our first year using an online school. My main concern right now is...how do I know that my kids are on track to finish for the year? Is there some type of timeline that I am not finding that allows me to know how far they should be at certain points? I feel like my 2nd grader is done in a jiffy an my 4th grader is working all day long, and my 7th grader is crying because she hasn't seen the light of day for weeks.
    How can I know that they have completed enough work for the day and aren't falling short?

Jamie Pease

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new and confused

Hi, Jamie. Time4Learning isn't an online school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum, so you decide how much your student needs to do in a school year, how long your school year is, and so forth.

It sounds like you might not yet have explored your parent account. You can log in and set up a plan for them both that will appear when they log in. They can check off each item when it's finished, or the program will check off completed items at 1:00 AM each day. When they're all checked off, you'll know they've finished what you planned for them.

In your parent account, the lesson plans/scope and sequence shows everything available for each subject at each grade level. The Activity Planner helps you plan how much of it to do.

Here are step-by-step instructions for using the Activity Planner.

Here is a post that address how to eliminate unnecessary activities if your planner shows too many.

I hope this helps get you started!
    lamb and bubrazilian like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

sca1een is offline Junior Member

but when you can know enough is enough??surely i can download some curriculum but it may not fit my kid..so how can i make sure she has learned what needed to be learned and now can go and have a rest??

Robin is offline Senior Member

I would be sure to consult your local homeschool laws, since those will sometimes indicate how many hours, what subjects or what needs to be covered.

Most parents, I think, will just go through all the lessons in each grade level. But as a homeschooling parent, you have the freedom to skip lessons (for any reason) or move them around in any order. We often added to lessons with hands-on activities and regularly skipped things we'd already done or that they already understood.

The student reports will give you some insight into whether your student is retaining the information. The curriculum includes quizzes and you'll find those scores in the report. I usually had discussions with my students to gauge how much they were learning. And many times, when I asked where they learned something I didn't remember teaching them, they shouted, "Time4Learning!" They still do this and my oldest is in college. lol

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Robin made a great point about consulting your state's homeschool laws. A few states do specify a certain number of hours or days, but remember that homeschool families can legitimately count music lessons, organized sports, 4H, Scouts, volunteer work, part time jobs, field trips to anywhere, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking and auto mechanics as school hours. No student should be spending all day, every day in front of the computer because of a mistaken belief that only the formal work "counts" as school work. (Think of how many hours in a day a student at public school uses in waiting for the bell to ring to change classes, traveling between classes, roll call, assemblies, etc.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!