New Middle School Science Question-
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: New Middle School Science Question-

Lori Moline is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question New Middle School Science Question-

I was just wondering if there is a suggested order for the new Middle School science courses.. are they all basically the same difficulty level, or do they increase in complexity? My daughter is going into 7th grade (we did T4L last year too, so she's already done the 6th grade science) and I looked at the lesson plans for the MS programs and they seem a LOT more complex than the 6th grade science..
    Advice?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Lori. Imagine running into you here!

The lessons themselves are essentially the same difficulty, but some concepts are harder for most students to grasp. Because of that, this is my personal recommendation.

Do The Nature of Science before beginning any middle school science courses, or in conjunction with the first middle school science course. Most of the MS science courses are designed to last a typical "school year". The Nature of Science is a supplement that is only supposed to last part of the year. If you do it throughout the year, you will have one or two Nature of Science lessons per week. This course teaches science basics that a student needs to know for any course: the scientific method, safety, how to use various lab supplies, how to measure, and so forth.

My kids do Earth/Space science in sixth grade, Life Science in seventh grade, and Physical Science in eighth grade. I've chosen this sequence based on what most kids are already familiar with from their elementary studies.

The new MS science courses are more complex, but the presentation is very fun. Each video segment is only five or so minutes long. The entire lesson's running time is around half an hour, during which time the student will complete a few different activities that last five or so minutes each. They progress along a cartoony path, and each activity is checked off when done, so they aren't just sitting there watching a lesson for half an hour. My kids just love these! They are so much more fun than the older, text-based science lessons.

Some of the lessons are "authentic tasks", which might simply be a website to explore and one question to answer about it.

I hope this helps you make your decisions. Maybe others can pop in and share what they are doing, too.
    bethl likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!