Placement?

Thread: Placement?

SeekingSquirrels is offline Junior Member

Default Placement?

It said to fill out the questions for help placing students at the right level, but when I did that, it still wouldn't let me continue without choosing a grade level anyway. Now we're in and it has it set to the grade level I chose, but there's no indication anywhere of the results of the placement questions. Am I missing something?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! The questions asked pertain to reading level. It is used in conjunction with your chosen grade level to decide whether to put your student in a lower level of science or social studies than the grade level you chose.

You can see which grade level each subject is set at by logging in as your student and clicking on a subject icon (like "Language Arts" or "Science".) The grade level will be indicated by a series of numbers at the upper, right. The grade level your student is working at (his or her default level) will be ringed with a dark circle. You can click on the other numbers to preview a grade level below and a grade level above. Don't mark any lessons you preview as completed.

If you decide to change your student's default grade level, log in to your parent account and click Change Education Level under Make Changes to My Account.

Let us know if you have more questions. It's a good idea to view the Parent Resources and How-to Videos within your parent account, to.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

tabrizah is offline Junior Member

My chid is 5 goin on 6. she completed kindergarten through abcmouse.com. I started her here on first grade. She is doing great with the reading and has completely finished all the science. She is a little behind on the math but that is ok, she will catch up. What I would like to know is if I can split her grade in science. Leave her at 1st grade on language and math and bump her to second grade on science?
    y

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yes, you can. Log in to your parent account and choose Change Grade Level under Make Changes to My Account. From there, you can adjust any subject to any grade level. Once you have done that, the change will be made within 24 hours.

I actually had my kids do first AND second grade science in first AND second grades. A year is a long time to a child of this age, and they had only a vague recollection of having done the lessons before. They learned something that had escaped their notice each time.

You can make a grade level change temporarily, too. Log in to your child's account and click on a subject icon (like "science"). Look at the upper right of the screen and you will see the grade levels available for a temporary change. This is usually one grade level above and one grade level below the one you are currently using.

The level you are currently using (the default level) will be circled. You can click on one of the other levels to change the science lessons to that level. It will change back to the default level each time you log out, unless you make the "permanent" change I described above, which changes the default.

Have fun!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!