This program is too complicated
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By heybabalou
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By michelleafincannon

Thread: This program is too complicated

hopefulmommy is offline Junior Member

Default This program is too complicated

Does anyone else find this program way too complicated? Does this just take getting used or is it unnecessarily complex? Thanks

heybabalou is offline Junior Member

Yes! Although the part I am struggling with is how to monitor progress. I don't know why but it is very confusing. And when I went to the activity planner, it planned out the year with lessons we had already done over the summer.
    hopefulmommy likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We always recommend that parents log in to their parent account and spend at least a couple of sessions understanding how the program works.

The new activity planner was just updated, and it has some bugs.
    Staff are hard at work fixing these. Unfortunately, trying to guess how long it will take to locate programming errors is sort of like asking, "How long will it take you to find your misplaced car keys?" Historically, they've been able to fix things very quickly.

What a bummer that this problem occurred just as you are trying to log in regularly. When all is working as it should, regular use is the best way to understand how the program works. Within a couple of weeks, you don't even have to think about it. It just comes naturally.

For my kids, I'm not logging in to the scheduler again until at least tomorrow, to give staff time to make some progress. So sorry for the headache caused by this update! I think the improvements will be worth it eventually, as it is designed to make things easier . . . not more difficult.
    hopefulmommy likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hopefulmommy is offline Junior Member

Thank you

michelleafincannon is offline Junior Member

I felt the same way at first, after bouncing around we found things easier on T4L then other online curricula we had tried. The best way to start is to print out the lesson plan for each subject in your grade and use it like a syllabus to guide you through. For example I put each "syllabus" in a folder. My high schooler and 3rd grader have 4 folders each containing the printed lesson plan for the course, when he completes a lesson and quiz for the day. he has to highlight the lesson to show he completed it. I hope this helps.
    pepperqueen77 likes this.

heybabalou is offline Junior Member

I don't have too much of a problem with the lesson plans. The problem is more navigating the areas of the program, and that the "help" offered is not very helpful! I tried watching the videos, read all the instructions and I am still confused! I really don't see why it can't be more user-friendly. I am not a complete idiot with computers, but it is unnecessarily difficult. For instance, somebody asked about the "assignments" tab. Well, why can't I find a damn thing about it in any of the instructions or help section? Why is it that when I click on a link to get more info on how to search for something. I get a picture of a completely different interface than I see when I log in? Why is the activity scheduler so hard to use? How come I can see my kids results sometimes and not others? Where are the answers, why aren't they in the help section?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your input, heybabalou. Here are the answers to your questions. Please let me know if you need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by heybabalou View Post
    For instance, somebody asked about the "assignments" tab. Well, why can't I find a damn thing about it in any of the instructions or help section?
    It does need to be there, in the Getting Started info. I'll report that.

Why is it that when I click on a link to get more info on how to search for something. I get a picture of a completely different interface than I see when I log in?
    The curriculum used by Time4Learning was designed by Compass Learning Odyssey, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has acquired a license allowing them to offer it for family use. Time4Learning put a lot of time into making videos and other visual helps for families to use the curriculum. The developer recently changed the way the entire interface looks, and Time4Learning is hustling to update the helps.

Why is the activity scheduler so hard to use?
    There was no activity scheduler until very recently. Parents used to simply count how many activities were available in a subject and divide that by the number of days in their school year. Then, they would tell their student something like, "Do two math, two language arts, one science and one social studies per day." Parents asked for a scheduler, so Time4Learning created one. It was just updated with additional features families requested, and it continues to be modified as additional feedback is received from the families who are using it.[/QUOTE]

How come I can see my kids results sometimes and not others?
    You should always be able to see your student's progress from the Reports tab within your parent login. If you can't, please give me more details so this can be looked into.[/QUOTE]

Where are the answers, why aren't they in the help section?
    The answers to most worksheets, quizzes, and tests can be found from within the lesson plans/scope and sequence.[/QUOTE]

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!