Question about the Lesson Planner
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SunshineMommy
  • 1 Post By SunshineMommy
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Question about the Lesson Planner

SnickerJunky is offline Junior Member

Default Question about the Lesson Planner

I have been trying to set up a first week schedule to have a guide to go by since this is our first time doing the whole home school thing and I've become perplexed, lol. I emailed T4L but they never replied. When I click to see the lesson planner for 5th grade, it shows all of the subjects and how many assignments in each one. When I click the link below to print it, the number of lessons is different than what it shows before I click to print. Which one should I go by? A few of the subjects are off by 200 lessons! I planned on the one with the most, but if that's too many, I don't want to burn him out with it, especially if it's unnecessary. On the flip side, I don't want him to think he is done only to find out he did not do enough lessons for the year and still has a ton more.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Are you accessing the lesson plans through your parent login? I'm not sure what you mean by "when I click the link below to print it, the number of lessons is different . . . " The link to print is in the left sidebar. Are you saying the number of lessons on your printed copy is different than the number shown on the lesson plans?

Are you confusing the lesson plans with the activity scheduler?

It can be confusing to get started with any new program, because of being unfamiliar with that program's terminology and so forth. Please respond to the questions above to help me understand. We'll get this figured out!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SunshineMommy is offline Junior Member

I actually have the same question and yes, it is for the Activity Scheduler. I do see the lessons and activities but it would help if I know how long they are so that I can plan a 5-hr day. For example, if Quiz 1 (5 mins), Lesson 2 (6 mins), etc What I have been doing is to assign what subjects he needs to work on everyday and he gets done whatever he gets done in 5hrs.
    SnickerJunky likes this.

SunshineMommy is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnickerJunky View Post
    I have been trying to set up a first week schedule to have a guide to go by since this is our first time doing the whole home school thing and I've become perplexed, lol. I emailed T4L but they never replied. When I click to see the lesson planner for 5th grade, it shows all of the subjects and how many assignments in each one. When I click the link below to print it, the number of lessons is different than what it shows before I click to print. Which one should I go by? A few of the subjects are off by 200 lessons! I planned on the one with the most, but if that's too many, I don't want to burn him out with it, especially if it's unnecessary. On the flip side, I don't want him to think he is done only to find out he did not do enough lessons for the year and still has a ton more.
    Snicker - one thing I do is to compare the lessons against the required district standards - that way you can highlight the ones that are mandatory. The school district should have a list of requirements for your child's grade level.
    SnickerJunky likes this.

Here is a screenshot of what I see:
    I hope it works! If not, the link is: Lesson Planning Worksheet . When I click on the link below the box that says "Printable Lesson Planning Worksheet", the number of activities for 5th grade are different than what's in the box above.

I probably don't even need this if I just rely on the scheduler to do all the work, and I'm totally stressing over nothing, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, I replied with a screen shot but it says it has to be approved by an admin before it can be posted, lol..It is the Lesson Activity Table and the "Printable Lesson Planning Worksheet" below it is the link I was clicking.

Blog Entries

That is quite old! Where did you find it? I'd like to report that it's still out there so we can take it down. I'm sure it has not been updated, because we have the Activity Scheduler now, which you will like a lot better.

Log in as a parent. Click on the Student Records tab. Scroll down a bit and select the Activity Scheduler icon. There are help videos at the upper, right side, but they don't include two features that are new this year, so here is how to use the Activity Scheduler, step by step:

Select the child you are scheduling for.

Put in your start and end dates (first and last days of school).

Select all the subjects you want the schedule to cover.

Select the types of activities you want to include. (Some families don't give tests, some don't schedule worksheets and only use them when extra practice is needed, etc.)

Click Generate (at the bottom).

Click Save (at the top).

Another button at the top will appear that says Manage Breaks. Click that.

To add a break (vacation, Christmas break, spring break, or something specific to your family), click within the box. That will bring up a calendar. Choose the Sunday that precedes the week you want off. (This scheduler allows you to schedule breaks in increments of one week because it generates a schedule with a week's worth of work at a time.) After choosing the date, click Add Break. Then, you can click within the box and repeat the process to add another week, and another, until you have added all your breaks. Click Close.

Now you can begin to assign certain lesson activities for certain days. You do this week-by-week. Instead of trying to anticipate the entire school year, I just do it on Saturdays for the upcoming school week. There is a dropdown menu next to each lesson activity where you can select Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. If the scheduler indicates your student needs to do three activities in that subject that week, you might want to schedule them for Monday, Wednesday and Friday, leaving Tuesday and Thursday open for a subject that has more work to complete . . . or always do Language Arts on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Social Studies on Mondays . . . or leave Fridays free
    for catching up . . . or whatever works for your family. You can change this at any time.

The notes area is for you to type things you want your student to know. Examples from my own family are "See me before beginning this", "You don't need to do the paper doll unless you want to", and "You can find the supplies you'll need for science on the counter in the entryway."

You can change the dates at any time.

A button to access this schedule will appear when your student logs in. There, your student can check off the work as he or she does it. I like to print a copy of the week's work for myself, too. Some families just have their student check off the work on a printed copy.

The scheduler does not affect which activities appear for your student. Your student needs to follow the arrow and do just the number of activities that appear on the scheduler. The scheduler shows activities in the exact order that the arrow indicates.

If you need to make a new schedule, you can just start the process again, but then you will have two schedules. (I have about fifteen, from playing with this. ) You will need to set the schedule you want to use as your default, so it will be the one that shows up when your student logs in.

To do this, log in as a parent, select the Account Info and Updates tab, choose the Activity Scheduler icon from below, select the student, and click on Manage, on the right. Here, you can choose which of your saved schedules you want to make the default and which you want to delete altogether. You can also delete schedules you no longer need.

You can edit saved schedules by clicking on Choose Saved instead of Manage. Your schedules each have an ID number. They are in order in the dropdown box . . . oldest schedule at the top, newest at the bottom.

I hope this helps. The Activity Scheduler is a wonderful tool, and you will find it matches exactly with the lesson plans.
    charityann73 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Sunshine Mommy, it is difficult to estimate how long each activity lasts, because so much depends on your individual student. Five hours is a long time to just be doing online lessons, especially pre-high school. Our high school students might plan on three or four hours online at the very most. Remember that your homeschooled student isn't spending time waiting for the end of a designated class period to move on to the next subject, doing role call and other classroom maintenance things. Here is an article you might enjoy called How Long is a Homeschool Day? If your state requires a certain number of hours of "school", virtually all of them will allow you to count library time, Scouting, music lessons, organized sports, home ec (learning to cook dinner, etc.), P.E. (playing at the park), and so forth. This is not cheating. It is a recognized advantage of homeschooling, and they are legitimate educational activities.

I know it's nice to at least have a ballpark idea of the time involved, and you will begin to understand how long the different lesson types take for your own student about two weeks into the program. You can find his time spent on each lesson activity in his Reports.

As a very general idea, most quizzes are ten questions. If your student is a quick reader and doesn't have to think about the answers very long, it could take ten minutes or less. Most learning activities run around 15 minutes, but some are open-ended, especially at the lower grades. For example, there are coloring activities that allow the student to color online until they feel they are finished. There are writing activities where some students will be content with a paragraph written in five minutes and others will spend an hour writing a great story.

At the high school level, and for the middle school science lessons, running time is close to thirty minutes for most video activities . . . but, again, there are also "authentic tasks", which might be an essay to write, a website to visit, or a worksheet to print. Those could take a minute or two, or an hour or two, depending on your student's interest and motivation.

I hope this helps a little, although I know it isn't as specific as being able to say, "This lesson takes ten minutes and this one takes twenty."

THANK YOU!! I'm so happy to know it's old and outdated, lol! I found it by following links here and there and ending up there. Then I couldn't remember how I got to it, so I had looked in my history and bookmarked it! I won't bother with it now. Thanks for explaining all that, too. I was getting frustrated with the activity scheduler because I didn't know i could delete the ones I had done wrong lol.

Blog Entries

It is a really nice tool, and I am REALLY enjoying the added features this year.