Quiz failures and moving on to next lesson

Default Quiz failures and moving on to next lesson

I've been trying to figure out why would T4L allow a student to move on to the next lesson if their activity quiz was failed. As a homeschooler the beauty of homeschooling is to focus on a lesson for as long as necessary so that my kid can actually learn the subject but is there a way for us to be allowed to set it up that if our kids fail a quiz, they automatically have to redo the lesson? If not, I think that should be something that T4L should consider implementing as an option for all who use this program but to the very least for the homeschooling community.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Think of Time4Learning as an online alternative to a textbook. You can tell your student, "Read chapter seven and do the test on page fifty-two", but he CAN do something different if he chooses to.

There are families who just want their children to do the lessons and take whatever grade they get. Although that isn't my personal style, a great many folks want to do it that way. There is also huge variation among families as to what they consider "failing". Some even want their students to achieve 80 percent in math and language, but don't worry about science and social studies . . . or other personal preferences.

The reports would have to allow each user to set up their own preferences. While that sounds like a great idea for homeschoolers, Time4Learning leases this curriculum from Compass Learning Odyssey, who developed it for school use and only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license allowing them to offer the curriculum to families and individuals. T4L has added a lot of things to the curriculum to make it easier for family use (such as the scheduler, grading guides, and all the helps in the parent login), but they can't alter the way the program is designed.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

christianderic is offline Junior Member

I set out the expectation when we started with my kids that they need to pass all quizes and texts with an 80% or above. If they don't they have to redo the entire lesson and retake the quiz or test. Now having said that I do check through their quizes and tests as I have found that at times I don't agree with the question/answers. I have also gone through the material and taken notes alongside one of my children and found a few discrepancies with the quizes/tests so on the other hand if my child can explain to me where they were coming from on an answer they got incorrect...give me sound reasoning behind their response and demonstrate that they did in fact grasp the material I count the question as correct and don't make them redo the material. The auto grading with time4learning is great but there are times I look into things and adjust scoring as needed. I've also found at times its the way the question was asked and not that my child didn't know the material. Sometimes I have to rephrase the question and explain and then they understand.