schedule
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nightingalechina

Thread: schedule

nightingalechina is offline Junior Member

Default schedule

Dear all,

I am new to T4L, indeed new to homeschooling. But I just signed my daughter up yesterday, and I can't really work out how to make a weekly schedule. I can make a long list, on which I choose which day she has to do what. I am wondering if there is a function by which this list can be turned into an actual schedule? One that would tell my daughter:
    Monday sept. 21st: Math: Triangles
    Physics: Linear Motion
    LA: Process skills
    etc. Is there such a function? Or does she have to look through the entire list, and hopefully catch those that I have marked for Monday etc?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Log in to your parent account and click on your student's name under Student Activity Schedule. Then, click the Create/Access Activity Plan button. There are three links to help videos at the top, right that explain how to use the scheduler. Pay special attention to saving your schedule and setting it as the default.

Once you have your schedule made, you can go back into the scheduler and click on "Choose Saved" from the dropdown menu. Then, choose the week you want to work with. You get a list of everything the student should do that week. To the right of each activity, you can choose the exact day you want it to be done. Instead of working with the whole year, I just go in each weekend and assign exact days for the upcoming week. I also look at last week and type anything that didn't get done or that I want them to re-do in the Notes section.

Time4Learning offers many tools, and allows us the flexibility to use any or none of them. I do like the schedule, but I print it for my youngest kids, instead of having them navigate back and forth between the schedule and the lessons online. My older kids can handle viewing and checking it off online.

Hopefully others will pop in with how they use the scheduler, too!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi Hearthstone, thank you very much for your reply. I don't see that it creates a schedule as such. Still just those looong lists that I find very difficult to use to get a quick overview.
    I was thinking that it would be smart if the was a function that would create something like this:

Tidspunkt Mandag Tirsdag Onsdag Torsdag Fredag
    8.00-10.00 Vocabulary Skills:
    R8012-R8020

Vocabulary Skills:
    R8022-R8030

Vocabulary Skills:
    R8031-R8035 + OWR8032
    Process Skills: Think Alouds:
    R8107-R8110
    Writing:
    RLA8130-31
    + QZRLA8133
    + OWRLA8357
    + OWRLA8134
    10.00-11.30 Idræt – MED BECKY

Visual Arts:
    Maling/tegning
    Gift of the Magi:
    E1111-16
    + AQE1111
    The Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge:
    E1121-24
    + quiz
    Idræt – MED BECKY
    11.30- 12.30
    Frokost
    + opvask

Frokost
    + opvask

Frokost
    + opvask

Frokost
    + opvask

Frokost
    + opvask
    12.30 – 14.00 Speed:
    ph004, ph005 AQph004,
    AQph005
    + quiz
    Acceleration:
    ph008, PH601
    ph009, PH602
    AQph008
    AQph009
    + quiz
    Real Numbers:
    M8011-22
    OWM8022
    Process Skills: Think Alouds:
    R8111-R8115
    Real Numbers:
    M8030-38
    14.00-15.00 Velocity:
    ph006, ph007
    AQph006
    AQph007
    + quiz

Idræt/gåtur
    Comparing Numbers:
    MA8025-27
    MA8029-31
    QZMA8028
    QZMA8032
    QZMA8040
    Idræt – MED BECKY
    Real Numbers: MA8017-19
    MA8023-28
    QZMA8020
    Visual Arts:
    Maling/tegning

Has anyone got any good ideas?
    [email protected] likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. I see. You are wanting actual times. You won't find a function that schedules your day according to time. That varies so much for each student, because some work more quickly than other. Homeschooling is generally more time efficient than traditional school, because students do not have to wait until the end of a designated class period to go on to the next subject. If they have, for example, just a 20-question test in social studies, they might finish in ten minutes. Instead of having to "wait until the bell rings" , they can go right on to the next subject. There is also no time spent on roll call, announcements, assemblies, and so forth, so you will find that homeschooling takes far, far less time than traditional school.

Your student will not be in front of the computer doing online lessons from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Plan on half that amount of time or less.

If your state requires a certain number of hours of instruction (a few do), remember that you can count music lessons, organized sports, 4-H, Scouts, volunteer work, a paid job, arts and crafts, educational DVDs, and things like casual instruction in cooking, sewing, or auto mechanics as class time.

Look at the lesson plans/scope and sequence for a quick overview. Compare them with the weekly schedule the Activity Scheduler generates. I find this easier to do with printed, paper copies. The purpose of the activity scheduler is not to schedule your time. It's just to get an idea of how many activities your student would need to do each week to "finish" a grade level in a certain subject during what you decide is your homeschool's "school year". My own high school kids work from the weekly schedule, since I don't care which days they do each lesson activity, as long as they all get finished that week. I narrow the weekly plan down to make it a daily plan for my younger kids, which you can do by accessing the plan you've made and clicking on the "day" dropdown menu next to each lesson activity.

Sometimes it helps to know how others do things, so I hope this has been of some help. Other parents should soon be along to add their comments, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Once again thank you!
    It' not that I expect hert o sit in front of the screen from 8-3 that would be too harsh The above schedule was just an attempt for me to get an overview of what I expect her to do that week And I had to painstakingly copy and paste which is rather time consuming. But I'll workout some system.

lmuegerl is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am also having issues with the activity scheduler. I have taken the steps you have talked about here, I have created my weekly schedule, saved it, and made sure it is set to default. I was expecting that when my child would log in and click the “Start my lessons” button, it would only show what I had put into the scheduler for the day or week. Instead, he is seeing ALL assignments and is confused on what he is actually supposed to be completing for the day. Is there any way I can set this up so that he only see’s what he needs to complete?