Scheduling Question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onlyme4430

Thread: Scheduling Question

raebellus is offline Junior Member

Default Scheduling Question

I am confused about how to assign daily work when some weeks have 6-10+ different lessons/activities/quizzes/tests in a subject.

Do you all work by a set time daily? Or do you break it down into sections? If so, how do you break them down?

onlyme4430 is offline Member

for my son, we're doing specific subjects on certain days of the week. for example, on mondays/wednesdays, we'll be doing math/language arts on T4L plus supplements. then tuesdays/thursdays, social studies/science on T4L plus supplements. fridays are his enrichment classes with a local co-op group. that helps him not to be overwhelmed with too many lessons each day and we can always add in extra stuff on tuesday/thursday if needed. the biggest thing for us is not to rush it and make sure he is fully understanding the concepts, especially in math. the best thing about homeschooling is that you have the flexibility to decide the best pace for your child.
    lauderdalegang likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I generate a schedule which, as you've said, shows how many activities to do each week. For my older kids, I just let them choose when to do each thing on the week's list, as long as it all gets done that week. I think this has been good practice for when they have eventually moved on to college.

For my younger ones, I go in on the weekend and assign specific days for each thing for the upcoming week only. I don't try to do this for the entire year at a time, as we are constantly changing our schedule. I also don't stress about assigning the specific days. If a subject shows five things that need to be done that week, I will assign one for each day of the week. If it shows six, I'll assign one for each day of the week and look for a quiz or test to make a two-activity day (since the quizzes and tests don't take very long). If it shows four, I usually leave Fridays free, so Friday is usually a short school day. Eight or nine activities . . . I'll put two activities on Monday through Thursday and none or one on Friday, again with the goal of making Fridays an "easy" day.

That's worked for us.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing how each of you utilize the program. What works well for one may not work as well for another, but taking bits and pieces of what works successfully from others will only help and enhance the overall success for each of our learners.

I have previously used a weekly schedule and was hoping to continue the same concept with this new-to-us format of online homeschooling. I imagine it will take a few solid weeks for my daughter to find her groove, but we'll get there. She started today (10th grade) and we are using this week to ramp up and give a trail run to everything to see how it works as well as estimating how much time an "average" day will take.

ladyowl is offline Junior Member

Total newbie here, and I appreciate this post and your answers very much. If my daughter doesn't finish her lessons for the week, what happens to the schedule? Are they just available the next week?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, ladyowl. The scheduler doesn't affect what lessons are visible or available to your student. It's just a way for you to decide how much she should do each week. If she does not check off some items, she can simply finish them the next week. You are also free to generate a new schedule at any time, if it seems she often can't finish.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jncolby is offline Junior Member

This has been a helpful post for me too! Thank you! We are just getting started with T4L and I was going to generate a schedule set to certain dates, but I know there are weeks we will be taking off and did not know how that affected the overall schedule.