Testing Out of Lessons
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Laura Spencer Chapman
  • 1 Post By Maliwali
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Testing Out of Lessons

Laura Spencer Chapman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Testing Out of Lessons

I have kids with learning quirks and some of the lessons are too easy for them. Can they just take the quiz/test for that lesson to prove their proficiency? I'm hoping they can and then just move on because otherwise I'm going to have very bored and frustrated kids.

Maliwali is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Spencer Chapman View Post
    I have kids with learning quirks and some of the lessons are too easy for them. Can they just take the quiz/test for that lesson to prove their proficiency? I'm hoping they can and then just move on because otherwise I'm going to have very bored and frustrated kids.
    Use the curriculum in whatever way works best for you! I often have my son just take the quiz or test for a lesson, especially in math. If your kids already know the material, then go ahead and have them do the quiz or test. If they don't do well, you can always have them go back through the activities.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A lot of parents have their students take the test first, and only do the associated lessons if they score poorly. In many subjects, obtaining 80% or better on a chapter test causes all of the lesson icons in that chapter to be marked Mastered.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

kvoj is offline Member

I have a question. So if your kid takes a test and he gets 40% the first time then gets 100% the next time, T4L averages the scores to give you a score so 40+100/2=70%. So technically even though he passed with 100% the second time he still has a 70%. Do you make your child redo it until they get their average score above a certain percent or just leave it alone when an individual test makes 100%? Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I am more concerned about what my kids actually learn than what the numbers say. If my child gets a hundred, I know they understand the material, and I would not require more work on that material.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

But if the average is still love like was in the above thread. Will that bring down the overall average at the end. Will the transcript indicate they mastered it. For me 70% is not where I want them to be on paper. Yes they mastered it but on paper it won't look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjferrell View Post
    But if the average is still love like was in the above thread. Will that bring down the overall average at the end. Will the transcript indicate they mastered it. For me 70% is not where I want them to be on paper. Yes they mastered it but on paper it won't look that way.
    I agree totally!

peppermintmochalatte is offline Junior Member

I don't know for sure, but my experience with the compass learning program seems to be that they use the best grade on the test. We are transitioning over to T4L for the upcoming school year, so maybe it might be different with T4L.

TxBrandi is offline Junior Member

I am new to homeschooling and was wondering how all of this works.....if you were to have your kids take the test and they do well, so you skip it, what if they are done with the school year in only half the time? Do they then just move on to the next grade? They could end up graduating early right? If so, is there any states that would have a problem with that? Do they just accept that you did your job and made sure that they covered everything that they were supposed to?