What counts as an Activity?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: What counts as an Activity?

Default What counts as an Activity?

Just signed up for Time 4 Learning and have my children working on it however when I looked at the planner it suggested various numbers of activities for each child. My question is what is it talking about? Does it mean the little 15 minute boxes after you click in to a subject, section, group, or does it mean to complete the 3-4 boxes at the end of each category. My kids are breezing thru and done in less than an hour for 4 subjects and that does not feel like enough learning to me. So I have them working to a quiz in each subject per day now. Even then they are done in very short order.
    Confused????

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

An activity is the little fifteen minute boxes after you click in to subject, section, group (or textbook, chapter, lesson, lesson activity).
    Your children are doing a lot of work. Homeschooling usually takes much less time time than traditional school, because a student does not have to wait until the end of a designated class period to go on to the next subject and because there are no "crowd-control" things taking up time (such as roll call, assemblies, waiting in line to use classroom equipment, etc.). Here's a good article called How Long is a Homeschool Day?

To commit something to long-term memory (instead of just "learning" it long enough to pass a quiz or test), most people do best when presented with small amounts of information every day. For example, say you were wanting to have a poem memorized by the weekend. You could read it fifteen times on Monday and you probably wouldn't remember it by Saturday. On the other hand, if you read it every day from Monday through Friday, chances are you would be able to recite much of it from memory by the weekend.

Different things work for different families, but here's what I did. While my own kids always finished their formal school lessons quickly, I did prohibit TV, DVDs, videogames, and computer (except for school) from the hours of 8:00 until 3:00. During that time, they could read, do arts and crafts, cook, work on Scout badges or 4H projects, cook, sew, build something, play with blocks or Legos, play in the sandbox or on the swing or other active things, and so forth. That way, they didn't rush through their lessons to get to play mindless screen things , and they were engaged in educational or healthful activities during "school hours".

I hope learning about my family's experiences helps a little in deciding what will work for yours.
    Elija likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!