Why can't I figure this out?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    heybabalou is offline Junior Member

Default Why can't I figure this out?!

Okay, I really don't get why this is not set up in a more intuitive manner. It is complicated and very difficult to find answers. We have been in the program for over a year, but we are only now doing it regularly. I can't figure out how to "check off" assignments. The new activity planner is even more annoying than the old one. It makes a plan with the lessons that have already been completed, rather than the ones that need to be. I find it very hard to navigate!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The new activity planner was just updated, and it has some bugs. Staff are hard at work fixing these. Unfortunately, trying to guess how long it will take to locate programming errors is sort of like asking, "How long will it take you to find your misplaced car keys?" Historically, they've been able to fix things very quickly.

When all is working as it should, regular use is the best way to understand how the program works. Within a couple of weeks, you don't even have to think about it. It just comes naturally.

For my kids, I'm not logging in to the scheduler again until at least tomorrow, to give staff time to make some progress. So sorry for the headache caused by this update! I think the improvements will be worth it eventually, as it is designed to make things easier . . . not more difficult.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I am still struggling. I have been using this program with my son for over a year and I still can't figure out many issues. I am about to give up and cancel my subscription because it is so confusing. For instance, I can't figure out how to access the learning activities and link them with the main lessons. I can't figure out how to search for them by number, and even when I look at the list it is confusing as to which learning activities go with what lessons. The activity scheduler is mind-blowingly difficult. I can't even figure out how to edit the plan!

And does "LA" stand for learning activities or language arts? That is also not clear. It says different things in different areas.

Blog Entries

Hi. LA generally stands for Learning Activity when you see it within the program or reports . . . but people sometimes use it to refer to language arts (such as in the forum).

I'm not sure what you mean by how to access the learning activities and link them with the main lessons.

To find a specific learning activity, just input its number in the field that looks like a little magnifying glass at the lower, right when you are logged in as a student. The number can be found in the lesson plans/scope and sequence within your parent login.

I think the lesson plans/scope and sequence is the "list" you are referring to. Each chapter is labeled and the associated activities are below the chapter.

The activities are all laid out in a suggested sequence. There are a lot of options if you choose not to use the suggested sequence, but most families probably should begin by just following the plan as laid out until they get a good feel for the navigation. You don't even have to use the scheduler. It's a fairly new tool, and my kids did without it for many years.

Here's the easy way: Look at the lesson plans/scope and sequence to see how many activities there are for a subject (like Math). Divide that number by the number of days in your school year. Tell your student to do that many math activities each day. Do the same for each subject, to come up with something like, "Do two math, two social studies, one science, and one language arts activity each day, plus any associated quizzes and tests."

When your student logs in, they should click on a subject icon. Then, click on the first unchecked icon on each page they are taken to until they get to an activity. If they are going to do more than one activity in that subject, they start the process again. Any time they finish all the icons on a page and see a quiz or test, they should do the quiz or test.

I hope this helps. It's pretty easy if you follow the way it's laid out. It gets more challenging when you try to customize things, but all those customizeable options are there for the families who want them.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I think I figured that part out now. I was able to print out the worksheets with each lesson, which I believe are the learning activities. As for as the other "LA" I was talking about the LA Extensions, which I assume are Language Arts. I think it would be helpful to call these different things!

For some reason, I could not find the search box on the student page. When I went to the "help" area, it showed me a totally different page then the one we see! I thought that was odd.

I still feel there is a better way to set this up to make it easier to navigate. Since it is a paid service, I feel it should be more user-friendly!

One more thing-I can't figure out how to see my kid's scores on tests. I go to report but I can't figure it out. Sometimes I can see them and sometimes I can't. Today he worked on a test while I wasn't there, and I could not for the life of me figure out whether he had finished it or not, and what score he got.

Blog Entries

heybabalou, when you log in to your student's reports, be sure you are looking beneath the actual Reports tab and not beneath the Recent Work tab. Only completed work appears beneath the actual Reports tab. If a test is completed, there will be a score beside it.

If you can't find the test beneath the Reports tab, then look in Recent Work. ALL program access appears under Recent Work . . . even incomplete work. If the test was incomplete, you will see an icon that is only half blue instead of completely blue at the right of the name of the test under Recent Work.

Thanks! Another thing that is odd is that the half-blue icon appears on items we know we have completed.

Blog Entries

I think you are looking under the Recent Work tab instead of the actual Reports tab. Recent work is a good place for a quick check of all program access (even incomplete work), but you will want to make sure you are using the actual Reports tab to generate your reports. Only completed work appears there.

Here's how to make sure your student is exiting each type of lesson in a way that assures it is marked as complete.

I'm just a few days in, as well. I feel like what I am not finding is a way to schedule activities for my child, then have my child be able to access those activities directly when she clicks on "Start My Lessons." Instead, if she is to complete the activities I scheduled, she still needs to navigate to them as if she were doing it on her own. Am I right about that, or is there something I am not seeing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast