Aloha and Welcome to the Hawaii Homeschool Support Forum
    pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Aloha and Welcome to the Hawaii Homeschool Support Forum

Hello and welcome to the Hawaii homeschooling forum and support group. My name is Michelle and I delighted to be the moderator for birthplace of surfing and the hula -HAWAII. This support group is here for you to be a source of encouragement and support (on those bad days or starting out days) and also to give out information and resources to the wonderful families homeschooling in Hawaii.

If you are new to homeschooling then please stop by the information on homeschooling in Hawaii at the Hawaii State Page and also you may like to download our Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

I am in no way an expert to homeschooling that may never come, but I will do my very best to answer any questions you might have. And if I don't know I will either find out for you or direct you to the right place.

Now please don't be shy , introduce yourself and share your homeschooling story. One little thing that you say or do with your family might help someone else! Please feel free to add suggestions or comments at any time.

Mahalo
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

ohanakula Guest

Default Aloha, group in town?

Aloha

I'm a single mom of a 7 year old daughter. We need support and friends but the only groups I've found are religious based and not open to different views and people. I've tried to start a group in town, open to all, non-religious, but have received zero interest from my posting on a couple of groups and boards. The main homeschool group meets at a park in kapolei that is a 2 hour (4 hour roundtrip) bus ride from us, (if no bathroom breaks are needed!) and we can't join unless we showup in person. Just being the two of us, we especially need social connections and companionship on excursions. It's fun just the two of us but it gets lonely for my daughter. Any suggestions? Mahalo and Best wishes to all the ohana kula.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I find that going to the park during school hours is a good way to meet other homeschoolers. Usually we are the only ones at the park during the day. Also try your local library. Homeschoolers usually spend a lot of time at the library. Ask the children's librarian if they know of other homeschoolers in your area. Look at the yahoo groups to see what you can find in your area. It is so important to have local support both for you and for your daughter. I hope you are able to meet someone soon.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

hawaii_mama Guest

Default Just getting started.

Aloha all!
    My son is 4, but my husband and I are already certain we will be homeschooling him. What exactly would I have to do to get started? I have read that I need to file an intent to homeschool form with the school in district. Can anyone tell me what is on that form? And how soon should I file it?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First of all welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. It is an exciting adventure. You do not have to file any forms until your child is 6 years old. Then you file a copy of form OIS-4140 with the principal of your local school. You can also write a letter of intent if you don't want to file the form. The letter should include:

• Name, address, and telephone number of the child;
    • Birthdate and grade level of the child; and
    • Signature of the parent.

I would suggest that you look for a good local homeschool support group. This will be your best source of information. These people have done it where you live so they know all the ins and outs of the local school.

There is a testing requirement but it does not start until 3rd grade. You must file and annual report with the principal that shows your child's progress. You can find a good easily understandable copy of the law here.

Please let us know if we can help in any other way.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb Local Resources

A very comprehensive and updated (as of May 2015) list of local (Oahu, Hawaii) resources, including groups, classes, co-ops, extra-curricular providers, stores & services, links to local laws & regulations, a calendar of major/public events, and more can be found at Oahu Homeschool Mom! There is also a blog with current event info, reviews, information sharing, ideas, etc. (Oahu Homeschool Mom - Home) The associated Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/oahuhomeschoolmom.