Newbie from big island
    Big Island Guest

Default Newbie from big island

i have a daughter who is 5 yrs old and i need to get her into school i have done my own worksheets with her but i am interested into homeschooling her... for kindergarden.. i need help on where to start and how to start..and What i need to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Island View Post
    i have a daughter who is 5 yrs old and i need to get her into school i have done my own worksheets with her but i am interested into homeschooling her... for kindergarden.. i need help on where to start and how to start..and What i need to start.
    Aloha-

I am a homeschooler on the Big Island (1st grader and 4th grader). As with all homeschoolers in the state, you will need to complete a DOE Form 4140 and submit it to your neighborhood school. Keep in mind, if your daughter turned 5 after July 31, 2015, she will not be recognized as a kindergartener. You may begin homeschooling as soon as you've notified the school of your intent to homeschool. Within a few weeks, you should receive a notification of acknowledgment from the school district. I just moved back to the Big Island this summer; I turned in my forms to Pahoa Elementary in mid-July and I still haven't received my acknowledgment forms. When I called the school, they assured me that it had been submitted to the district office and it is taking longer than expected. They gave me the okay to begin homeschooling, and I am keeping strict record of my children's attendance, lessons, and quizzes/tests. I keep everything. Hopefully, I get the acknowledgment soon. It does worry me, but I have confirmed that the school knows; and when the time comes, my daughter will take the standardized tests (not required until grade 3) at Pahoa Elementary, and I will submit clean records to the school at the end of the year regarding my children's progress this year.

If you have questions, your neighborhood school will be able to provide you with everything. Just walk into their office during the school day, not before or after school when they are most busy.

Here is the state DOE webpage regarding Homeschooling: Hawaii DOE | Homeschooling

Good luck to you!