Advice on High School Counselor
    ParentWizard is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Advice on High School Counselor

Hi all,

I'm a parent of a high school student and would like to get your advice about High School Counselor.

I'm asking this because my daughter seems to have a hard time to meet her counselor even after she made an appointment a week ahead. Per my daughter, when she showed up to her appointment, the counselor facial expression and perhaps body language seem to show that she didn't want to see her and her meeting request was a burden. Furthermore, she is very passive in the providing advices to my daughter (i.e. her response was short - 'fine', 'good', etc.)

Granted that my daughter is a straight As student, does the counselor try to say that she has nothing to worry about in any of classes?

We are dealing with a new counselor and I understand that they are very busy in dealing with many students. But, I like to know exactly what are her roles to the students, how often do students reach out to her?, should the students be able to meet them? Do you think she is overwhelmed by her duties?

Colleges are asking letter of recommendation from counselors. How can they provide the recommendation if they are barely able to see/know them? Or, is the letter of recommendation is a can letter based on the students' grades and behavior data?

I don't want to get involved as I like my daughter to learn dealing with this herself. However, her story concerns me and I can't help what counselors do.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice on High School Counselor

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

You have posted on a message board for Time4Learning, a homeschool curriculum. Most of the parents here have either never had experience with public high schools, or have had difficult experiences with public schools, so I'm not sure if there will be much of a response to your question in this particular forum.

Maybe someone who doesn't fit one of the typical user scenarios I've described will come along and share their experience with their child's high school counselor.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!