Algebra II Moves too fast ...
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jojeanstern
  • 1 Post By monkey
  • 1 Post By jojeanstern

Thread: Algebra II Moves too fast ...

jojeanstern is offline Junior Member

Default Algebra II Moves too fast ...

I am the mother of a soon to be 17 year old. We choose to use Time 4 Learning this year for most of her course load. She loves it except when it comes to the Algebra II course. I have to agree with her also as I have gone in and seen each lesson. She feels like the new concepts are gone over extremely fast (she takes notes on everything) and then there is a quiz right after the concepts. Of course when she takes the quiz she does poorly. I confess that math of course isnt her favortie subject but... she is trying to get thru this. I am sure there are alot of you out there who have teens that are really good in math and so it comes easier to them. But, I am also sure there are those like my daughter who have to struggle thru and when the course moves quickly it gives no time for step by step reviews before the quizs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!Jo
    bailbrae likes this.

monkey is offline Junior Member

We supplement with Khan Academy when my daughter feels the Algebra II lesson was too fast or confusing.
    bailbrae likes this.

jojeanstern is offline Junior Member

Thank you monkey. We have been using different sites that have more step by step lessons to help her. We used Khan Academy for Algebra I so may have to try that again for supplemental benefits.
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Great advice, about Khan, monkey! Jojeanstern...I can't give personal experience as my son has only done Algebra I, but if anything went too fast, he just went through the lesson again before he did the quiz. Just to make sure he understood. I know that's probably not the advice you were looking for, lol, but it's what works for us. Hopefully some other members will chime in too...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

TraleneB is offline Junior Member

My problem is similar. Just posted a thread expressing my anger in very nice terms. Son is taking Algebra I and when he takes the quiz there are questions on there that were not discussed. Really frustrating because math is not a strong point at all for anyone in this house. :/ And frustrating is putting VERY nicely.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TraleneB View Post
    My problem is similar. Just posted a thread expressing my anger in very nice terms. Son is taking Algebra I and when he takes the quiz there are questions on there that were not discussed. Really frustrating because math is not a strong point at all for anyone in this house. :/ And frustrating is putting VERY nicely.
    I'm sorry you're frustrated. I did respond in the thread you posted, for what it's worth. We haven't had the same experience that you've had, it seems... :/
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

We have been using T4L for just two weeks now, and have experienced exactly the same thing. We have been using Khan Academy to help, but it is frustrating that we seem to have to use it for every lesson! Also, a bit of an aside, does anyone else find that "Jersey Shore" guy irritating? My son finds it kind of insulting and babyish. I get that they're trying to be cute, but come on!