Another 9th grade LA question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elizawill

Thread: Another 9th grade LA question

elizawill is offline Junior Member

Default Another 9th grade LA question

Hi, I have another ninth grade LA question. I知 trying to plan for next year & Im wanting to make sure LA covers writing as well. I know T4L has Time4Writing, but I知 really not interested in that. I just want to know if English 1 is enough on its own, or if I need to plan on adding a writing curriculum as well. I already own The Power in Your Hands, so I can add that if need be.

Thanks for any insight. It痴 just difficult to tell how much is covered. The scope & sequence seems to indicate writing is included, but I知 not sure why they offer Time4Writing if English 1 is complete on its own.

Thank you so much for your help!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Another 9th grade LA question

Hi! Ask away . . . That's why we're here!

There is PLENTY of writing practice in the high school English courses and in all of the other high school courses, too. I haven't even assigned all of the writing assignments to my own kids. We just talk about most of them and I only have them do the writing in the English courses. There are grading guides within your parent dashboard to help you score the English writing assignments.

Time4Writing is a completely separate program. It includes teachers who provide personalized feedback/grades on your child's writing assignments and are available via email for answering specific questions about the assignments. Time4Writing is offered because some parents aren't comfortable grading their child's writing assignments even with the grading guides . . . or in case you want another person's opinion about your child's writing . . . or want to focus on a particular aspect of writing . . . or just something fun or different! Time4Writing isn't correlated with the Time4Learning curriculum in any way.

I usually have my kids take one or two Time4Writing courses each year, and I omit the writing assignments in Time4Learning during the time they are working on a Time4Writing course. (Each Time4Writing course lasts eight weeks.) Having always been home schooled, my kids think it's fun to occasionally be graded by someone other than Mom (especially since grading a writing assignment can be very subjective).

I also love the high school T4W course where it walks the student through writing an essay. I have my kids take that shortly before they are ready to graduate from our home high school and head to college.

As always, this is just what we do. You can use the curriculum however you wish, and it's great to customize things for your own student's needs.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Kelly, thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed to know. One last question, does T4L offer any writing instruction? Will it help walk my son through the writing process, or does it just give assignments assuming the student knows the writing process already.

Thank you so much for your time!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Chapter One in English I covers the writing process (late in the chapter). There are various chapters in the other English levels (II, III, and IV) that review it. Access the lesson plans/scope and sequence and use the search bar at the top to search "writing process" to find the exact lessons and their associated lesson activity numbers. You can type the lesson activity number of a specific lesson you want your child to do in the Activity Finder at the lower, right of her dashboard (the magnifying glass icon) to go right to that lesson, even if she doesn't currently have that particular course on her dashboard.

You can preview the lessons as a parent without affecting her reports by logging in to your parent dashboard, clicking on Resources, choosing Lesson Plans/Scope and Sequence from near the top of the left sidebar, and then look for the word High School under the rectangle that says Preview in that left sidebar. Do not try to preview lessons from the "regular" scope and sequence grid at the right. You must click on the Preview links under the word Preview.

I hope this helps with your planning!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you again! Your answers really helped me!