Assistance?

Thread: Assistance?

KMcCaskill is offline Junior Member

Default Assistance?

So I am totally new to this concept of schooling. I hope I'm posting this message correctly! My daughter was in 11th grade. After extensive arguments with the school over her learning, uniform, and teachers that don't teach and refuse to return messages, I finally blew up and pulled her out. It probably wasn't the smartest way to handle the situation, but I hope she will be much happier in the long run. I am having a difficult time understanding how everything works here, and what exactly I can do to help her succeed and understand how to do everything she has to do. Does she have to spend a certain amount of time logged in to get credit? What resources are there to help her understand difficult concepts? I am pretty overwhelmed right now with everything so any advice is welcomed! Thanks.

Kimberly

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Kimberly. Time4Learning is not a school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum, so the parent directs the student's education. This means the parent decides which curriculum to use, what schedule the student should be on (take summers off? school throughout the summer? school one month on and one month off? school whenever you have time?), and what the student must do to graduate from your homeschool. The curriculum is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and there is no requirement to log in each day.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com .

People often mistakenly refer to online schools (which will award credit) as "homeschooling". In homeschooling, the parent directs the student's education and awards credit themselves. All fifty states allow a parent to award a homeschool diploma to their own child.

Homeschool parents are responsible for following the homeschool laws in their own state. Every state is different. Check your state's Department of Education website for your state's current laws. Homeschool laws tend to be much less restrictive than school laws. They are typically designed to make sure the student is learning instead of to dictate how you must teach. Some states only want you to notify them that you are homeschooling. Others require testing every few years.

Online schools are responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the school's state.

I hope this helps clarify a few things for you. Good luck with your research!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!