College Course via High School Woes - Advice Needed
    En_Part_of_Thr33 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default College Course via High School Woes - Advice Needed

Hello all!
    Our son is currently a sophomore and enrolled in an ASL (American Sign Language) course at his high school. The class is offered by a local community college and our son earns college credit while taking this course.

As far as his grades are concerned, our son did very well for his freshmen year. For the first semester, he earned a B in his ASL class. It was during the second semester where he began to run into issues. We are able to keep track of his progress and missed assignments via an email service that keeps us notified on an almost daily basis.

When we noticed his ASL grade was slipping, we contacted the teacher and asked for a meeting. He informed us that, because he was deaf, a translator was needed and the process to acquire one would take some time. We were okay with this, but did not get a reply back for a long time, if at all (the correspondence is documented, but I have not looked at it since June). When we wrote him again (late April, early May, if I recall correctly. The year would end June 11), he told us that because the class was a college course, he could not share or discuss information concerning grades, behavior, study habits, etc with parents due to the FERPA privacy act. *

At this point in the school year, I knew our son chances to improve his low grade were becoming less likely and I wanted to notify his high school, the ASL teacher, and the community college. in essence document everything and show there was a visible lack of communication on the teacherís part and that time was running out. So I wrote them all in an email stating the lack of communication by the instructor and how my wife and son were never informed of this privacy act because there was no syllabus provided and the teacher did not show for the open house event that was held earlier in the year.

In my correspondence, I also provided points for improvement for all involved about how students of such college courses should be informed of this SHERPA information in a syllabus and a meeting at Open House or Back to School Night events. I was civil in my email, but clear that we were not happy with the lack of communication and information provided to us.

In the meantime, my wife learned that we could in fact discuss our sonís academic progress with the teacher by acquiring a release to be signed by our son.
    We did do this procedure and a meeting was eventually offered. My wife and I are both teachers (her elementary and I have recently moved from elementary to secondary) and the date and times provided to attend were during school hours.
    My wife and I could not attend, but looking back we probably should have made the effort.

We decided to let things be and let our son do any extra credit work and basically handle matters himself.
    He did have some zeroes and missing assignments and we did get on his case to turn in everything.

He eventually received a D+ in the class. Everything our son turned in was not good enough and he missed a C- by two points.
    The teacher would not communicate with us about missing assignments, but only on the last day did he write us telling it was too late and to have a fun and safe summer.

Cut to this year. There is only one ASL teacher (there was two in our sonís Freshmen year) and it is the same teacher from last year.
    Yesterday he informed our son and several other students that because they earned lower than a C in the class, he would be dropping them from his class.

We donít know what to do at this point. Our son needs two years of a foreign language to be eligible for a four-year college and the grade has to be a C or higher.
    There are no other ASL teachers at this school. The class is during second period and apparently all elective courses are full and to change courses would not be allowed.
    (We just learned of this lack of transferring through an email sent by the principal to all parents on Thursday).
    We expect to get more answers from his highs school counselor sometime next week.

Our concerns other points:
    Will our son have an empty period for the rest of the year?
    Will he have to remain in the ASL class and deal with this professor?
    Is there any legal action we can take to address this situation from his freshmen year? The teacher did mention SHERPA, but we have on record several instances of him sharing information about our son with his counselor and with us earlier in the year! Itís obvious he was unaware of the SHERPA condition and the whole situation with communication and dealing with our sonís grade is fortified behind the privacy act and, really, nobodyís concern for our plight.
    We know our son can contest his D+ grade and he plans to do this.

Sorry for the long post.
    Any advice is needed.
    Thank you.

* ďKindergarten-12th Grade Parent/Guardian Information (FERPA)
    ďThe Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records. FERPA protects students' rights to inspect and review their education records, to request to amend their educational records, and to limit disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in education records. It only affords parents the right to have access to their childrenís educational records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records when the student is claimed as a dependent by either parent for tax purposes. The college reserves the right to require documents verifying studentís status as a dependent.
    When a student turns 18 years old or enters a post secondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student.Ē
    As such, college personnel (faculty and staff) cannot release a studentís records (beyond that of Directory information) or speak with parents and/or guardians about any studentís academic records without a completed and signed ďRelease of InformationĒ from the student. For more specific information regarding FERPA requirements and limitations, please visit

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Since Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum and not a school, I'm afraid I don't have knowledge or experience to do much more than sympathize here. I can tell you that most colleges accept homeschooled students, and the best place I know of to learn about homeschooling a high schooler is Let's Homeschool High School.com. With homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record and decides what the student needs to do to graduate from the family's home school. All fifty states allow homeschool parents to issue their own child a homeschool diploma.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!