Considering the switch to T4L & need info!
    Stacy Siegel Sentivan is offline Junior Member

Smile Considering the switch to T4L & need info!

Hi!

I am brand new to this forum and I am winding down on our first year of homeschooling my 2 children. (9th Grade & 7th Grade) Unfortunately, the online curriculum that we chose last July is just not working out for us, as they have changed the curriculum twice since we started! Everything that we originally liked about the program has changed significantly or gone away completely. We have worked hard to try to adjust to the changes, but it is just not working out for us. We are seriously considering making the switch to T4L.

I would love to get some feedback on a few questions that I have, from parents of kids that are already using T4L. I understand that every student is different, but that will help give me a better understanding of how the program works. I am posting this on a few different forums because I would like to get feedback from parents on both the high school and middle school levels. Thanks so much in advance!

* Please include the grade that your student is in.

1. How much time does your student spend doing their school work on T4L, each day?

2. Do you use T4L as their only curriculum, or do you use it to supplement something else?

3. Is your student involved in extra-curricular activities? If so, do they find the work load to be too much, just right or not challenging enough?

4. Does your High School student have any special needs? If so, do you find T4L a good fit? Why or why not?

5. Does your student have experience with any other online curriculum's? How do you feel that T4L compares to other online curriculum's?

Thanks again! I really appreciate any feedback!!!

Stacy

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Stacy,

I will post your question on our main FB page today. Hopefully you will get lots of responses.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Stacy Siegel Sentivan is offline Junior Member

Hi Jackie!

Thank you so much! That would be great!!!

Stacy

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You are very welcome, Stacy. There were good responses to it. I hope they help you in your decision making process.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Kimberlee Garcia Sepeda is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, i have a high school student and one elementary and one intermediate all girls.

1. As far as time my girls probably spend about 2-3 hours a day maybe sometimes 1 hour a day just depends on the how long the courses are.

2. yes we use t4l as our only curriculum other then that we just read.

3. yes they all involved in extra curriculum , no the work load is not too much it is just right for us.

4. no special needs.

5. yes we started on Texas Vurtuial Academy. T4L is so much more flexible.

I hope this helps.

reb621 is offline Member

3 girls: 16 just completed 8th, 15 & just completed 8th, and 12 & just completed 6th.

1. They spent 1.5-2 hours in middle school, but more like 2-3 for high school (much more reading and writing, having to stop to look up difficult vocab words, take 2-3 pages of notes per lesson).

2. T4L is our core, but if they're struggling, I'll get a library or Netflix video to clarify. Also workbooks/sheets when waiting at doctors' offices, when vacationing, and during summer. Not necessary, though, as T4L has plenty for core, including worksheets. They also take music lessons, a homeschool gym class, and will begin Spanish (workbooks) next year.

3. Yes, as above, but also once/month homeschool social activities at library (book club and crafting thing, also computer/software programming on occasion). No, it isn't too much for them, though it's alot of driving for mom. When it feels like too much or somebody is sick, we'll just skip our activities that week until feeling better.

4. Yes, all 3 of mine have Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and older 2 have cognitive delays as a result. My youngest is bright, but has major ADHD, so she needs the sillly voices and characters to keep her engaged. My middle finds it "babyish" and so was happy to see that high school has teachers rather than "characters" giving lessons... My oldest did ok in 7th and 8th (B/C averages), but is struggling in 9th grade (World Geography and Biology, especially). So I've decided I'll need to schedule both 9th graders separately and will sit beside her, reading along, and check her comprehension as she works through lessons. She takes tons of notes, but understands little of it, can't make inferences, generalize, etc. And the quiz questions can be tricky! I think she'll do much better with me there with her, but that's true of any curriculum given my daughter's challenges.

5. No experience with other online curricula, though we did look into Connections Academy. Attended their training and learned that my soon-to-be 9th grader who was working at a 6th grade level would have to start AT 9th grade with only a 6th grade reading ability! She had an IEP for FASD and Language Processing issues (modifications allowed, which meant that instead of 4 multiple choice options, she would be given 2--I hated that--and 1.5 times the amount of time for exams. It just made her a better guesser instead of allowing her to master the material at a slower pace!) Anyway, they would only provide the modifications as stated in her IEP, and she'd have to have things turned in by specific due dates. (That's what I love about T4L--we can take longer on the harder stuff, but they can sail through several lessons in a day on the easier things, and we begin in early Sep. and finish in late April/early May, so plenty of time.) She'd have to log in at particular times to Web cam the instructor and other students, but that would mess with our schedule. And we could take vacations when we wanted, but she'd still be on the "school's" schedule, having to finish the work by a certain time. My kid is SLOW...so this just wasn't going to work. Plus we heard from another parent that her son was spending 9 hours per day ONLINE trying to get his work done. Way too long for any kid, but especially for a kid with challenges!

Good luck with your decision! I wish we had homeschooled ours from the start!

P.S. 2 hours/day isn't nearly enough time, so mine work in what we call "stations" (got that from their public school days) where they rotate: 1 practices her instrument, 1 works on spelling or typing or foreign language, and the 3rd works on TimezAttack math drills or logic games/puzzles. This way it's more "school," but it's fun! ;-)
    Last edited by reb621; 06-13-2014 at 10:19 PM.