courses & semesters
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: courses & semesters

sharpiemom is offline Junior Member

Default courses & semesters

Would these courses be considered semester long or would the course finish at the end of the year? Put another way, do they take about a year to finish?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I believe the main courses are considered to be a year long course.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Robin is offline Senior Member

Core classes are a year long, but you can schedule them any way you'd like. The electives may have less of a time commitment, but it really depends on how you schedule them. If you are asking in order to determine if it's credit or half credit-worthy, I think it will depend on how many hours you spend on the lessons. For instance, Health has 149 lessons, if each of those lessons takes about an hour (which I don't think they do considering the quizzes), you could end up with almost 150 hours of content. Enough for a high school credit. (Although some courses will award a credit for 120 hours). If you end up with 60-80 hours, I'd say give it a half credit. JMO

saja1029 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Core classes are a year long, but you can schedule them any way you'd like. The electives may have less of a time commitment, but it really depends on how you schedule them. If you are asking in order to determine if it's credit or half credit-worthy, I think it will depend on how many hours you spend on the lessons. For instance, Health has 149 lessons, if each of those lessons takes about an hour (which I don't think they do considering the quizzes), you could end up with almost 150 hours of content. Enough for a high school credit. (Although some courses will award a credit for 120 hours). If you end up with 60-80 hours, I'd say give it a half credit. JMO
    I inquired about the Health class and was told it was a half-year class. I am assuming the Econ/Finance class is as well?

Miguel'smom is offline Member
    Blog Entries

I'd say the main courses are a year and electives are 1/2 year courses given they generally because most electives have 1/2 the activities.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You can log in to your parent account and access the scope and sequence/lesson plans to see how many lesson activities are in each course. This is just a very rough guideline, but the lessons I've been testing run anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes in length, so maybe that info will help you plan. Also, many lessons include writing assignments. The length of time to complete a writing assignment will vary greatly from student to student.
    Robin and mamaneedham like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

But what I love about T4L is that my special needs high schooler can take as long as he needs to complete the courses!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

ScrugglinsMama, I appreciate that about Time4Learning, too. This is not a race!

Thanks for your encouraging comment.
    ScrugglinsMama likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

I love that we can go as fast or as slow as needed. I can choose to supplement or use nothing else. The flexibility is amazing. And my kids appreciate that as well. One of my daughters is planning to work through 2 years in 1!

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Agreed. My dyslexic child really benefits from a no-rush style of learning! It takes a bit longer for him to read!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast