English II Writing Instruction??
    DesertRambler is offline Junior Member

Exclamation English II Writing Instruction??

I just signed my son up for Time4Learning this week to start using the English II program. Here we are, 4 days in, and the assignment is to write an essay addressing on of the 2 provided prompts. And I don't see any instruction on learning how to write an essay. I have some questions about English II in Time4Learning:
    • Does T4L provide any writing instruction throughout the course?
    • For this assignment,
      • is this supposed to be a 5-paragraph essay?
      • is this supposed to be completed in one day? With or without other assignments the same day?

The biggest reason I signed him up for this course was so that he would have an independent course to use for both literature and writing, including writing instruction. Did I make a mistake? Should I have chosen a different level course? (He's a junior in high school, but his writing is really weak.)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The high school English courses are all literature based, and they do tend to assume the student already knows the basics of how to write an essay. The program grades all of the online work, except writing assignments. Parents must print and grade these, but we do provide detailed grading guides for each assignment.

Sixth grade language arts extensions includes a chapter on The Writing Process, which guides a student through writing an essay. You can receive access to any level of language arts (instead of the high school level) but calling Tiem4Learning support. Or, you might want to look at Time4Writing, where a live teacher provides personalized feedback on your student's writing. Several of the courses guide a student, step-by-step, through writing an essay. Here is some information on the courses offered by Time4Writing.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

DesertRambler is offline Junior Member

So are they expected to write the essay in one day? My son has written some essays but he is always walked through the process over 1-2 weeks.

Is 6th grade the last time they are taught any writing? I think I will have to supplement writing.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time spent on writing an essay varies a whole lot, according to the student's ability and interest. As the teacher of record, you are free to impose your own expectations on your student.

There's a smattering of writing instruction in eighth grade language arts extensions.

If you intend to supplement writing and want a guided process that takes about fifteen minutes a day, I highly recommend Time4Writing.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!