Gov't AND Civics? Confused...
    reb621 is offline Member

Default Gov't AND Civics? Confused...

In looking over my daughter's senior year courses, I'm seeing alot of overlap in the Government course and the Civics course. (In fact, "Civics" wasn't a choice when I selected their classes for senior year.) Any idea why it's showing up on her homepage? I want to make sure she's getting ALL of the lessons in both of these, but don't want her to have to repeat any. I guess I could just look through the Scope & Sequence for each course, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if another parent or staffer has already figured this out for us.

Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gov't AND Civics? Confused...

The course is called U.S. Government and Civics. Has that perhaps been abbreviated to just "Civics" on her dashboard icon? Here is how the course is described:

US Government and Civics – This course covers both US Government and Civics. Students can expect to gain a greater understanding of our government, its balance of power on federal, state, and local levels and how the election process works. Students will be asked to compare other systems of government and foreign policies to our own. This course prepares students for college-level study of history and government.

I hope that helps.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

reb621 is offline Member

My daughter is seeing BOTH a "US Government" icon (orange Capitol building over white square) AND a "Civics" icon (orange US flag over white square) on her "Odyssey" homepage. And when I click each icon, they contain the exact same 6 chapters with the exact same lessons and quizzes, etc. I also printed the "Scope and Sequence" for "U.S. Government/Civics" to confirm this, and it shows these same 6 chapters (and lessons, authentic tasks, Odyssey Writers, activity quizzes, lesson quizzes, and chapter tests) in BOTH "subjects."

So...

I have no idea why T4L has a duplicate icon. Maybe this is so you can claim your student took "Civics" instead of "Government?"

I'm just having my daughter do the Gov't one, but wanted to explain this for when others run into it.

reb621 is offline Member

OK, this is weird. Just checked my other daughter's (also going into her senior year) homepage and it does NOT show the "Civics" icon, just the "US Government" one (the orange Capitol building).

Hmm.

Blog Entries

The icons that appear on your child's dashboard are manually placed there by staff. (You log in to your parent dashboard to choose or change courses, staff receives the request, and the change is made within 24 hours.)<br><br>This sounds like an error, so I would call and speak with them directly. It should be easy to have one or the other icon removed from your student's dashboard.&nbsp;<br><br style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: &quot;Open Sans&quot;, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, &quot;“Segoe UI”&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-weight: 700; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: &quot;Open Sans&quot;, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, &quot;“Segoe UI”&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Hours:</span><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: &quot;Open Sans&quot;, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, &quot;“Segoe UI”&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">&nbsp;Weekdays – 8:30am to 7:00pm (6pm on Fridays) EST</span>&nbsp;

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

The icons that appear on your child's dashboard are manually placed there by staff. (You log in to your parent dashboard to choose or change courses, staff receives the request, and the change is made within 24 hours.)

This sounds like an error was made, so I would call and speak with them directly. It should be easy to have one or the other icon removed from your student's dashboard.

(888) 771-0914
    Hours: Weekdays – 8:30am to 7:00pm (6pm on Fridays) EST