Graduation

Thread: Graduation

KayH is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Graduation

Hi, I'm trying to finish my 11th and 12th grade year using time4learning homeschooling program. I have question, will I graduate using this program, with a diploma? Anyone help or can give me an answer?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Kay! Time4Learning is not a school, so they do not award credits or issue diplomas. All fifty states allow a homeschooling parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child, though. The best place to learn about homeschooling high school, with printable templates for diplomas and transcripts, is Let's Homeschool High School.com.

There is a difference between an online school and a homeschool curriculum. Many people mistakenly refer to online schools as homeschooling, because the work is done at home. That isn't the legal distinction, though.

With homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record and is responsible for directing the student's education, whether that means finding classes for them to take in the community, using an online curriculum like Time4Learning, teaching the student on their own. The parent is also responsible for following their own state's homeschool laws. Each state is different, but all allow a parent to decide what the student needs to do to graduate from their homeschool and issue a homeschool diploma. Colleges are usually more interested in a student's test scores than in how they learned the material, and they aren't "required" to accept any kind of diploma, but most these days are happy to work with homeschoolers. Harvard and Yale both actively recruit homeschooled students.

In an online school, a third party (the school and its teachers) is responsible for directing the student's education. That third party decides what the student must do to graduate and the third party is responsible for following the school laws in the school's state (not the homeschool laws). The school will issue a diploma.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion. Please let us know if you have any more questions about this, and do visit the Let's Homeschool High School site.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!