Hello everyone! New mom homeschooling 9th grader as of today ..need help for nyc area
    Elijahsmomnyc is offline Junior Member

Default Hello everyone! New mom homeschooling 9th grader as of today ..need help for nyc area

Hello everyone today is my son's first day of homeschooling, both of us are very excited. We are originally from upstate ny and relocated to the city area and because he transferred mid year and due to personal reasons we decided homeschooling would be the best option. I am sending off our letter of intent as of tomorrow. If anyone has any advice or prior experience all would be appreciated. As far as how many hours per day, record keeping etc. We are using time4learning for his main subjects. He is also doing a few electives through https://www.coursera.org/ and I will be teaching him as well. I also would like to new can he still obtain a regular high school diploma and as far as required testing for homeschool students in nyc. Thank you ahead of time and I look forward to making new friends and learning as well!

Nekisha S.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hello and Welcome, Nekisha! So glad to have you here.

Homeschooling is a unique journey that has many ups and downs, but is so worth it. I suggest you read this free ebook about homeschooling to get you started.

Here are tips and tricks to make using T4L a little easier. And since your son is in high school, I strongly suggest you pay a visit to Let's Homeschool High School. Many of your questions will be answered at this site. They offer free templates, articles, info about going on to college or what is available if you don't go to college, homeschool friendly colleges, a student and a parent forum, a student and a parent blog roll, slide shows, diploma and transcript info... You might also check out the NY state forum here at Time4Learning.

Best wishes to you and your son! Be sure to keep us in the loop.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Elijahsmomnyc is offline Junior Member

Thank you Jackie for the great information, I will definitely read the ebook and check out the other link. I am very excited and wanted to do this for so long. It is a pleasure to met you and I posted in the ny state link as well after I realized there was one, lol. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    Hello and Welcome, Nekisha! So glad to have you here.

Homeschooling is a unique journey that has many ups and downs, but is so worth it. I suggest you read this free ebook about homeschooling to get you started.

Here are tips and tricks to make using T4L a little easier. And since your son is in high school, I strongly suggest you pay a visit to Let's Homeschool High School. Many of your questions will be answered at this site. They offer free templates, articles, info about going on to college or what is available if you don't go to college, homeschool friendly colleges, a student and a parent forum, a student and a parent blog roll, slide shows, diploma and transcript info... You might also check out the NY state forum here at Time4Learning.

Best wishes to you and your son! Be sure to keep us in the loop.

Green Mt Master is offline Junior Member Newbie

Another good online teaching resource/platform is the Khan Academy -- mostly for math and science, with engaging videos. The founder's book, One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined, explains his philosophy/pedagogy. Other useful resources include Moonwalking With Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything; Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective 3-Step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory; and Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. ... And I'd love to encourage a holistic approach that incorporates meditation -- a recent NYT article points out that just 10 minutes of mindfulness per day is shown to improve exam performance by 15-20%!

Best of luck!
    Erik
    --
    PBK: Advocating Excellence
    Last edited by Green Mt Master; 03-20-2014 at 12:16 PM.