Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By Robin
  • 2 Post By lamb

Thread: High school courses

lamb is offline Junior Member

Default High school courses

What are your favorite high school courses, and why ? Thinking of having my daughter take some this next year and just wanted some more info on what you all liked best about t4l high school. Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: High school courses

My kids have all really enjoyed the Health elective. I think that's because it's personal; it prompts them to think about themselves.

Daughter #4 says she has drawn on what she learned in the Government/Civics course many times during her college years, although she wasn't particularly interested in the subject matter at the time.

As a parent and a writer, I can't say enough about the English courses. I have viewed some of them myself, just for enjoyment. They do a great job of encouraging the student to think about what they are reading. Because most of the concepts taught are based on something they have read in a literature selection, the student has a frame of reference, and they are more likely to remember what they've learned. For example, learning a few new words while reading a story is more effective than memorizing a random list of vocabulary words.

That's my two cents! I'll be interested to read what other parents of high school students think.
    lamb likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

My kids loved health and biology the most! The biology teacher was their favorite. Enjoying foreign language now!
    lamb likes this.

proud2Bgreen is offline Senior Member

Biology seems to have been a favorite in our house. Although, I think the new foreign language courses are becoming a clear winner
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

ahrc11 is offline Junior Member

DD enjoys the Biology teacher, too. I think the english II quizzes are poorly written, but she enjoys the course.

I wish there were downloadable notes or outlines, as there is so much information in the social science classes, and she has to pause the lecture to take notes.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Looks like biology is a winner!

lamb is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your comments! Looks like I will be using it for my daughter next year If I hadn't already bought all her curriculum this last summer, I would use it now!
    my son is thoroughly enjoying it, though.

chris james is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the ideas. It totally depends on teachers how they taught and give knowledge.