High School Elective credits
    s.lill is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question High School Elective credits

New this year to home schooling with high school students in NC. I have a good understanding of state requirements for graduation except for the elective credits. You need 20-21 credits to graduate. 4 English, 3 Math, 3 Science including a lab, 3 Social Studies, 1 health, 2 of a Foreign Language, and 4 Career. So you need 6 elective credits to graduate. 2 come from a Foreign Language and 4 from the CTE (NC Career and Technical Education courses, approved by the NC State Board of Education) to graduate. T4L makes it easy offering Health and a Foreign Language but what about the other 4 credits? Once a career pathway has been chosen how do you find the courses? Explored internet and still at a loss. Student has chosen law, public safety, corrections and security. First course needed in 9th grade is Public Safety I, 10th grade Law and Justice I, 11th grade Law and Justice II, and 12th grade CTE Advanced Studies. Please help?? On a side note what about fulfilling the lab credit any ideas?

angeleyes1307 is offline Member

Default Re: High School Elective credits

I am from NC also, and want to check that you are actually homeschooling (registered your homeschool through the state)? If so, you are facing a common misconception about high school graduation. In the state of North Carolina, you as the school administrator of a registered homeschool get to determine what your graduation requirements are. State requirements are for public schools. Now, if your student wishes to go to college or further academic pursuits, then it is good to meet the state standards because they line up with most college minimums. However, I would also encourage you to look at what their career goals are and line up their studies to best target them for their own personal path. For example: is your student looking at the police academy or law school?
    Also, a course is what you say it is. You can completely develop your own course plans. [Hence the recommendation to target their electives towards their personal goals].
    Yes, this makes it both much easier and far more complicated. I suggest finding support groups (I believe there is a homeschooling highschool in NC Facebook group that has a lot of good resources).
    As far as a "lab" requirement. Technically, the digital labs in the T4L coursework count. You can also dual enroll in colleges in NC as well, which is very helpful. MEL science also has a subscription program that has some great experiments for a lab type course.