High School Social Studies and Science
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By treesh

Thread: High School Social Studies and Science

treesh is offline Junior Member

Default High School Social Studies and Science

I was just reading another post about Social Studies not being as animated in the lower grades as language arts and math. How are social studies and science at the high school level?

I am trying to decide what grade level to sign up for, as I have a unique situation. Can anyone give input on these two subjects? The lesson demos look good, but are all the lessons as animated?

Also, I want to make sure I understand. If I sign up for the high school level, can my student still access 8th grade math?

Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: High School Social Studies and Science

Only the third through sixth grade science/social studies are text-based. The high school level lessons are the animations and recorded human instructors that you're accustomed to.

Yes, students who sign up for the high school level also have access to any eighth grade level curriculum. Just log in to your parent dashboard to change courses any time you wish. You can have four courses active at one time.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you! Can you explain what you mean by "you can have four courses active at one time"?

Also, just want to make sure. I can do different levels at the same time, correct? I can use the HS level language arts but use 8th grade math at the same time, correct?

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

At the high school level, ALL of the high school level courses AND all of the eighth grade courses are available to you,(with the exception of foreign language, which is an optional add-on). You can have ANY four courses active at one time, meaning easily available to work with on your student's dashboard. Yes, it can be a mix of eighth grade and high school levels. You can change those courses as often as you wish by logging in to your parent dashboard. Here are some possible scenarios:

Typically, a parent chooses one math course (such as Algebra I), once English course (such as English I), one science course (such as biology), and one social studies course (such as geography). Those courses appear on the student's dashboard, and they work on them until they are finished with the available material in that course. They might finish with biology first, so the parent goes in to the parent dashboard to drop biology and add chemistry. Shortly after that, the student finishes Algebra I and the parent again logs in to their parent dashboard to drop Algebra I and add Algebra II. And so on. Or, some families wait until another "school" year to add another course; when the student is finished with Algebra I, they are finished with math for that school year.

BUT . . . you can do this any way you wish. Some families like a different math curriculum because they have been with it for a long time and don't want to change. These families might choose to have the Time4Learning health course, an English course, and two social studies courses active (like American History I and geography or American History I and World History).

A third scenario is where you have, for example, the chemistry course active. You have your child do just the lessons in that course that you feel he or she needs and then switch to biology and do a few of those lessons and then drop any science courses altogether and add in health.

One year, I had my daughter do JUST the poetry and Shakespeare lessons from English I, English II, English III, and English IV to customize a Shakespeare literature course for her.

I hope all of these examples help you understand that you can do anything you wish. When we say you can have four courses in high school,, many families think that means they are limited to four courses during the year and their child has to do each course straight through to the finish. Nope! It's more like renting a big shelf full of textbooks and being told you can take four books off the shelf at a time. You have to put one book back before you can remove another, but no one tells you which books to choose, how long to keep them off the shelf, what pages to open, etc.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Great, thank you. That is very helpful!