How much time is it taking?
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default How much time is it taking?

For those who have a high schooler taking 4 courses, how long does it take your kiddo to get through them? My eldest is in 9th grade and some days he can get done with the T4L lessons in about 2 hours. today, he's over 4 hours in, and not quite done.

Have you all seen the same variances? Does your teen have an "average?"

Just trying to gauge the scheduling thing...

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by bailbrae; 01-06-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

bart is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default High School - How much time per day and how many activities per day

1. My interest is in knowing not only how many hours per day, but how many activities are being completed per day on average.
    2. I'm also wondering if other parents feel the T4L high school curriculum is more intense than what is offered in public school.

My kids average 7 activities per day and I feel like the curriculum is more intense and there is more of it than is offered in public school (I have no facts to back that up though).

I have twins who have been using T4L since 3rd grade. They are now nearing completion of the 9th grade T4L curriculum. They do school year round M - F (I work from home so they have to be occupied so I can focus). One is male and one is female with different strengths and weaknesses. One is easily distracted and takes much longer to complete school each day (I'll let you guess which gender this one is). In terms of intellect they are both above average intelligence and both high performing when they want to be.

Both have the same curriculum, same 4 courses/levels and same requirement to complete 8 activities per day (3 Math, 3 English, 1 Science, 1 History with quizzes and tests counting as part of the 8 total activities). If they follow the outline of 3 Math, 3 English, 1 Science, 1 History per day, the more focused and more self-directed twin typically completes school within 4 hrs. However, if that same twin decides to deviate and complete 8 activities consisting of only History and Science, school can be completed in as little as 2 hrs but up to 8 hrs if only Math and English. My point is Math and English activities tend to take more time per activity than History or Science for my kids.

The less focused twin who actively seeks out distractions and avoids completing activities can take up to 8 hrs or more to complete 8 activities in History or Science. However, when I sit and go through each activity alongside this character, the same twin manages to complete 8 activities of History or Science in 2 hrs or less.

I have felt that 4 hrs per day should be more than adequate when trying to compete with public schools in the State of WA, but now question whether more is required for the high school curriculum. I can't help but wonder whether the T4L high school curriculum exceeds the typical public high school curriculum and requires more time to complete.

My kids just turned 14 and should be done with 9th grade at the end of Jan. 2015. They also score much higher than the average on the state's standardized testing. They are ahead of their peers mostly because I work year round so they school year round. I suspect they score better on the standardized tests because T4L's curriculum is more intense, presented better, and encourages better learning.

I don't care if my kids are ahead, only that they are happy and are achieving to their potential.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Bart! Thanks for chiming and giving us such a good glimpse of your high schoolers and their day. So glad to hear how well T4L has been working for your family! I only have one high schooler, but he can have the days that either of your twins have, lol. Some days he's super focused and right on track. Other days, he's distracted and can't get it together. To be honest, I'm that way too. I give him control of what subjects he does each day. He knows what he has to get done. Most days he will cover all subjects, but he also had some single subject days. As far as how many activities and how long it takes him, well...it still varies depending on which subjects he's working on and how focuses he is.

I can't really compare the T4L high school courses to public school curriculum, but I don't have ANY concerns as to whether it's lacking. At all. We've been using T4L since my son was in 2nd grade, and he's now in 10th. While we may have supplemented here and there in the younger grades, I don't feel like I need to supplement any of the subjects that T4L offers.

When wondering about whether it's more advanced than public schools because of how much time it takes, remember...if your twins were public school high school, they would not only spend all day working with these subjects, but they would also have homework to do as well. Considering that, I would say that it takes LESS time to do T4L, but that's just my take.

Again, thanks for stopping by and chiming in. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

EmmaWilliams is offline Junior Member Newbie

informative info you have shared. I would like to thanks to you. i enjoyed your post alot.