Huge discrepancy in amount of writing per class, is it a higher level course issue?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Miguel'smom

Thread: Huge discrepancy in amount of writing per class, is it a higher level course issue?

Miguel'smom is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Default Huge discrepancy in amount of writing per class, is it a higher level course issue?

I noticed that World History has as intensive amount of writing as English I, but Biology I has a light amount of writing. Is Biology a freshman class and World History a junior/senior class? If so what is the order of classes from freshman to senior? Is there a way to tell what classes are easier or harder? Or is it simply that it's two different subjects?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

All the courses are "high school level", which means they don't get progressively more difficult as a general rule. There are classes that build on each other, such as Algebra I and Algebra II. But, for the most part, they can be mixed and matched, regardless of whether the student is a freshman or a senior.

The English classes have a lot of writing, which is appropriate at this level. The social studies classes have less than the English classes, but enough for the student to demonstrate understanding of subject matter. The science classes only have a few writing assignments, because there are usually more efficient ways to demonstrate understanding of this type of topic than writing about it.

Still, this is probably a "typical" progression:

• English: English I, II, III, and IV
    • Math: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry. If the student has already taken Algebra, substitute Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry, and Pre-Calculus.
    • Science: Biology, Earth/Space & Physical Science, Chemistry, and Physics
    • Social Studies: US History I, US History II, World History, US Gov/Civics, and Geography (Any four, depending on what the student has already taken.)
    • Electives: Health, Economics/Personal Finance (as desired)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Thanks
    I used the find option and the lessons plan and came up with the odyssey writer activities. So I could find the writing intense classes.
    Class Odyssey writer:
    SS
    US Goverment 85
    US History I 10
    US History II 85
    World Geography 10
    World History 94
    English
    English 1 105
    English II 110
    English III 65
    English IV 63
    Science
    Biology I 6
    Chemistry
    Earth/space science 15
    Physical Science
    Physics 1
    Electives
    Economics 11
    Health 17
    Personal finance 13

I don't know if that's helpful or not.
    MichelleG likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm sure that chart will be very helpful to others.

Shhh . . . I am not having my daughter do all of the writing assignments. She is already a good writer. We are just discussing some of the material, instead of having her write about ALL of it. She is doing all of the writing assignments in English.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

I just have my son do the non-web link ones.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

That's a very helpful chart! Thank you! My 9th grader is taking Algebra I, English I, US History I, Biology and Health. We will probably just continue to go in that typical, suggested order.

Like Kelly, I don't know that I will have him do all of the writing assignments. We will have to see how the year is progressing and just how long it actually takes them to complete them (and I'm sure that will vary also).

Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!