Maths

Thread: Maths

Lynsey is offline Junior Member

Default Maths

Hello
    i am from England and our kids study High school mathematics as one course, increasing in difficulty each year. Can anyone explain to me how the t4L high school math courses work?

my daughter is doing the t4l high school for English and History but still finishing off year 8 for science and math.i have noticed that the is also an option to do 'honours algebra'.is this to be completed after year 8,or is it an alternative?

my daughter is halfway through year 8 math but is not finding it difficult and I am wondering whether to just move her up to Algebra 1.are there any topics from the year 8 math course which will not be in the Algebra 1 course (other than geometry)? Are there any chapters in the year 8 maths, that really do need to be completed before moving to Algebra 1.

i hope this all makes sense

Many thanks
    lynsey

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynsey View Post
    i have noticed that the is also an option to do 'honours algebra'.is this to be completed after year 8,or is it an alternative?
    Hi, Lynsey. Honors Algebra is intended for middle school students who already know the material in seventh and eighth grade math. middle school math courses are similar, but the topics are expanded on each year. Some students don't need all that practice, and they can intuit the eighth grade material based on their mastery of the seventh grade material.

my daughter is halfway through year 8 math but is not finding it difficult and I am wondering whether to just move her up to Algebra 1.are there any topics from the year 8 math course which will not be in the Algebra 1 course (other than geometry)?
    Yes, because Algebra 1 focuses on algebra and eighth grade math still has lessons on many math topics (fractions, percentages, etc.)

Are there any chapters in the year 8 maths, that really do need to be completed before moving to Algebra 1.
    My guess is that a student who did very well on seventh grade math and continues to do well on eighth grade math could move on to Algebra I. If you are paying for high school courses anyway, you might want to just try it. You can always move her back down.

Another option would be to have her do the eighth grade math chapter tests before doing the lessons in the chapter. If she does well on a test, she does not need to do the lessons in that chapter. If she does not do so well, she does the lessons in that chapter and tries the test again. This would assure you both that she knows the material in eighth grade math before moving on to a high school math course.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!