My daughter is making poor grades
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By wareagleteacher
  • 2 Post By proud2Bgreen
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: My daughter is making poor grades

Default My daughter is making poor grades

We started this program this year. My daughter is in 11th grade. She can't seem to pass the quizzes and takes most of them multiples times. What would you do? Start the year over?
    ellenka likes this.

proud2Bgreen is offline Senior Member

Personally, if my child was having a hard time in any area of study ( which they have ), I would have them repeat those areas until they understood them fully. Remember, You have to build a good foundation before you can move to the next level
    ellenka and TerriPB like this.
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. I encourage my kids to take notes during lessons. That's a good skill to learn, and it does require them to pay close attention to the lesson, so they can decide what's important enough to write down.

We also often print the lesson activity summaries for them to study later. It's that screen that sums up what they've covered at the end of each section. There is no "Print" function for it, but you can print any screen from most computers by typing ctrl and p.

The video portions (where the teacher is talking) have transcripts. Your student can click the little "T" icon in the bottom right corner to print the entire text of what the teacher said to study before a test.
    ellenka and TerriPB like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

As a first time homeschooling parent. Please give me any suggestions to help my child navigate this program better. Is there videos they can watch on how to use program better?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Amy. There are some videos within your parent login account, under Parent Resources and How-to Videos. As your child's teacher, you can set up a plan for her using the Activity Planner . This is good to do if you want her to complete a certain amount of material in a certain amount of time (such as one level of math during nine months).

You can also just have her go at her own pace and work the lessons in sequence. To do this, she logs in to her student account and clicks on a subject icon (such as "language arts".) This can be compared to opening a textbook.

She will be brought to a page of icons representing chapters in the book. She should click on the first one that does not have a check mark. (None of them will have check marks at first.)

She will be brought to a page of icons representing lessons in the chapter. She should again click on the first one that does not have a check mark.

She will be brought to a page of icons representing lesson activities in the lesson. She should again click on the first one that does not have a check mark, and she will be taken to an activity to do. An activity might be a teaching activity (such as a recorded teacher lecture, a website to visit, an animated lesson, etc.), a practice activity, or an assessment activity (quiz or test).

She should take any quiz or test she encounters immediately upon finishing the activity that precedes it, because quiz and test icons don't get checked off and this assures that she doesn't forget to take them.

As the teacher, you need to log in to your parent account and view her reports regularly. You will make decisions, such as whether you want her to repeat work she may have scored poorly on. The system grades the vast majority of work, but parents grade any worksheets and writing assignments. Answer keys to worksheets can be found in the lesson plans within your parent login. Grading guides for writing assignments for high schoolers can also be found within the lesson plans.

I hope this helps you and your child better navigate the program. Please let us know if you have more questions.
    ellenka likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!