Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Newbie with 9th grader, question on time of lessons

Pippi is offline Junior Member

Default Newbie with 9th grader, question on time of lessons

Hi everyone! My daughter is in 9th grade and this is our first time using T4L (aside from a very short trial we did over the summer). I am a little confused on how to know how long an assignment is expected to take. I did a detailed lesson plan and it currently has her doing about 5 English lessons a day. Obviously they aren't short lessons because they entail in depth information with long videos. Do I have to make her school year super long in order to make it all fit properly? What do you guys do?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie with 9th grader, question on time of lessons

Hi, Pippi! Take a look at the type of lessons. Some of those might be short 10-question quizzes, a 25-question test, a website to explore, or a worksheet to do. Many of those don't take very long. (Worksheets and websites are usually called "Authentic Tasks".)

Time4Learning provides a lot of material, and you may use as much or as little as you like. My comfort level, for my kids, is no more than two lesson activities per subject per day. Brains can only take in so much material at a time!

Here are some ways I have weeded out unnecessary lessons for my own kids. I have not done all of these for every child. I pick and choose what might work for that particular subject and that particular child:

~Eliminate all the authentic tasks, which are websites to explore or worksheets that are intended to reinforce what they've studied in the online lessons. I might do this if my child easily learns the material from the online work and does not need reinforcement.

~Eliminate all of the Odyssey Writer writing assignments in subjects besides English. I might do this for a student who has trouble writing, or for one who is a particularly good writer. The purpose of these is to get your student thinking (instead of answering multiple-choice questions). If your student generally has no trouble putting their own spin on things and putting that into writing, they probably don't need most of these. If they do have trouble, sometimes just discussing the questions with a parent is better than trying to write down their thoughts.

~Eliminate an entire unit, if it's something I think my child already knows. An avid reader might not need to study plot and setting, character, theme and conflict, or narrator and voice. If you look at English I and English II, they both cover these same ideas with different literature each year. Maybe your student only needs to do those units during one school year.

~Eliminate all of the writing units (the entire unit) at the end of each chapter in the English courses and just have my child journal or use another writing curriculum. (Time4Writing is worth considering. Each eight-week course is $99 and your student is assigned a teacher who grades and provides personalized feedback on your student's writing. The assignments are very brief and one or two eight-week courses per year is plenty.)

There are lots of other ways to do it, but I hope this gives you some ideas and helps you get started.
    Pippi likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Pippi is offline Junior Member

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I needed!!! I will go in and edit now. You're awesome by the way. Hehe

Blog Entries

Aw, thanks. Starting out can be a little overwhelming, but you'll find your own way of doing things soon enough, and then YOU will find yourself giving advice to other parents!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Joyfulmama is offline Senior Member

I like Kelly's advice! My daughter is similar age and we do what works for us. For us in the past she does not do all of the Odyssey Writer assignments. She only did three subjects with T4L and the rest were through our homeschool co-op and one other program. She got plenty of writing without doing all the assignments. I have to second the Time4Writing courses. My daughter took one for middle school and we plan on her taking one this winter.

The joys of homeschooling...doing what works for your family!!!

Blog Entries

Just checking in, Pippi. Were you able to come up with a schedule that you were both comfortable with? How's it going?