Playing Catch Up
    kayleighsmom529 is offline Junior Member

Question Playing Catch Up

So my nephew is 15 and currently in the 9th grade. He recently left public school to finish up high school in homeschool. They had an IEP for him in school, and his last report card stated "He is working well with his IEP and is currently on pace with his 4th grade reading and comprehension". I am flabbergasted. He recently decided to stay with us until he finishes school because his mother doesn't pay attention to him and is more concerned with her personal life than she is with her kids.

So before I go into a long story...I currently have him in English 1, but am quickly realizing that his reading comprehension is way, way behind. My questions are 1) Are there any programs/extras that we can use to help him increase his reading comprehension and 2) How do I make sure he completes the high school work, while increasing his comprehension when he is so far behind. I know he "needs" the English credits if he plans to go to college (his current plan is military), but his lack of comprehension is going to hinder him from really learning the work in English 1.

proud2Bgreen is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    You could look into outside help with a tutor or you could switch him to the level he needs for reading. I know it can be hard to go to a lower grade level, but I have always felt that it isn’t how fast some one learns, but that they learn. Time4Learning makes it really easy and cost effective too. He can work in the grade levels he needs for each subject; progressing at his own pace. Working at his own pace will allow him to build that foundation and confidence that will only help him in his future endeavors. Try to focus on that instead of where he “should” be in his education.

Good Luck & I hope this helps J
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Bertha is offline Junior Member

Plan,
    Examine all his interests and skills. Books in those subjects will be more enjoyable for him to read. Instruction manuals on how to build things, Elementary physics books on how things work. Show a you tube video first on the subject, then read all about it. Kids like to be a little militaristic too. Read about how famous battles were won, the more graphic the better. Remember, you are competing with the charge he get's from the internet. Eventually, turn him into a book worm.
    Get his math skills into Algebra,

Then contact me
    I can get him a job that pays 100 k per year in the electrical field.