Please help! New 9th grade homeschooler mid year
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By proud2Bgreen

Thread: Please help! New 9th grade homeschooler mid year

lmurray2824 is offline Junior Member

Default Please help! New 9th grade homeschooler mid year

Hi, I finally made the decision to pull my 9th grader from public school and start homeschooling him as of today! I'm excited yet scared to death at the same time. He's been struggling for so long in public school and now that he's reached high school, he can't take it any more and I was scared that he would quit if I didn't make a change for him. He has been classified with a learning disability and is reading at a 6th grade level, has an IEP in place which he has had for years. I feel that they were just letting him slip through the cracks instead of getting him the help that he needed. I started him out today with the normal 9th grade courses to see how he did with it since that's what he was in this year but he's struggled badly all morning. I have been attempting to have him do the tests to see how much he knew to begin with then I would have a better idea where to start with him but he's failed everything he's attempted so far this morning. I feel so bad for him, not sure what to do for him. I think that I need to lower some of his courses drastically but not sure how. I think that I need to work on his self esteem and show him that he can actually pass something before working him back up to grade level. Can anyone give me any advice or ideas to help him?? He asked me if there were any programs that will read the lessons to him, but I have no idea. I've never attempted anything like this before and not sure where to even begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

proud2Bgreen is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    One of the great things about T4L is that your child is able to work at their own pace. Personally, both of my kids are in different grades in some of their subjects. I am not too worried because I know that sometimes it can take longer for kids to learn certain material. I always say it isn’t how fast your kids learn, but that they build that foundation, and really understand what they are learning. I would definitely start him on the highest level you know he is capable of doing, to build his confidence, and build from there. Try not to focus on the grade he is able to work in and what grade he “should” be in. I know as a new homeschooling mom it can feel as if you need to live up to what the public school systems are doing, but that is what is so wonderful about homeschooling, being able to step outside that box and create an environment that works for your child; as we all know that the “one-size- fits all” that our public school systems offer just doesn’t always allow for every child to reach their full potential. Just keep doing what you are doing, which is putting your child’s need first, and it will all work itself out
    schumacherkristin likes this.
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

lmurray2824 is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for the reply. I guess I'm just worried that he won't be able to get into a college should be decide to go later down the road. Right now he has no desire for it and just wants to have his own landscaping business which he is great at already and it's where his passion is (well, that and fishing/hunting). I don't know if I should skip around to what I feel like he really needs or should I make him go through the whole curriculum? There are some things that he really struggles with, which I know he will never use in his line of work so I don't know if I need to push for him to do it all or not. Thanks for any help!

Tmoore7rn is offline Junior Member

I just pulled my daughter out too. We are trying to figure things out too. She is having a hard time adjusting to just sitting at the computer, so I am looking to mix things up and also use textbooks.

apcooperrn is offline Junior Member

Just signed up tonight and pulling my son and daughter out. I teach the nursing program at a college, however this is much different and I am very nervous!

Hello everybody, I have been using time4learning since September 2014. There are some things I like and some I don't. I have currently a 3rd grader and an 8th grader, both boys. I would like to give some tips. First, you can complete what you want and when you want. If your child is grasping something quicker, then great. Don't make him or her complete all the parts that are redundant if they get the concept well enough to pass the tests. If they aren't grasping it, then try to repeat the lessons or I like to use Khan Academy as another resource to helping my kids learn the material. I also make up my own grade book for homeschool review purposes. My state requires them, and well, if my child skips lessons it looks like they didn't do their work, so I show my reviewer my own grade book, which leads me to my next topic of transcripts. Yes most everybody cares more for a transcript whether it be for the child entering college or going back to a public school. My advice, look up a sample online by Google-ing it and create your own based on the curriculum that they do. Really there is not a direct path to take, it should be your child's learning that leads them. I also supplement somethings that time4learning is lacking in. For instance, my state of Maryland requires me to teach all the basic subjects plus PE, Health, Art, and music. I've found for health, that the website kidshealth.org is great. I basically make my kids read the material, go over it with them, then give them a paper to write on the subject. This does two things, it helps promote writing, and it helps to see what they retained from the articles. Again, you are the one grading so help your child see if and when they get things wrong. No more slipping through the cracks like in a public school. The whole idea and concept of homeschooling is to do things in a manner that your child will learn, this means you don't have to do things normally like a public school would do them, but make sure you follow your states homeschool rules so you're not in violation. If your son or daughter is great in a 4th grade math but is still in 2nd grade English, that's ok! Time4learning will allow you to put your child in the appropriate grade level by subject. And you can repeat the courses as many times as he or she needs. If all else fails, make up your own way of teaching, such as your own worksheets or study guides. I also don't like the fact time4learning only gives you spelling lists with no worksheets to help them learn it. I created my own daily worksheets to help my kids. I also help them with vocabulary by using a study workbook lesson called WordlyWise. I bought them and the answer keys with actual tests from eBay! I really hope this helps you all and please email me anytime and I can try to help further. [email protected]

jos
    jos is offline Junior Member

Hi My grandaughter uses natural reader this program is free and it reads the lesson to your student.This reader is wonderful.Just type Natural reader into the browser.Best of luck.

vikkirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello! I'm in a similar boat. I pulled my son out of 9th grade Public School in March of this year. He was struggling with several things, and I felt like he needed to be close to home. I'm not sure where to begin or what I need to know. he wants to eventually reenter public school at level, so transcripts and credits concern me. I just want to do what's best for him in the long run, and home seems the best thing for now.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, vikki. The best place to learn about homeschooling high school, with printable diploma and transcript templates and load of other helpful resources, is Let's Homeschool High School.com .

All fifty states allow parents to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. Public schools are not required to accept homeschool work (or private school work) for credit. There are no laws saying what they must or may not accept, so it's often comes down to the opinion of the specific individual you are speaking with at the school you wish your student to enter.

I found it to be a breeze to homeschool all the way through high school, issue a homeschool diploma signed by me, and sent my kids on to jobs or college (four of them so far . . . two left to go! ) My friends have had varying levels of success homeschooling part way through and then putting their kids in public high school. One friend's son was required to take tests to show that he still knew the material (even though all that is required of a public schooled student is that they show they took the course in public school . . . not that they retained any information). Another's record were carefully scrutinized and the counselor seemingly randomly chose to accept some courses for credit and not others.

Time4Learning's printable reports, along with the scope and sequence, are very helpful when negotiating with schools. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. If receiving public school credit is important to you, you might want to talk with the school in advance to see if they will pre-approve your homeschool work.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!