Question about progression through courses.
    aoakes is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question about progression through courses.

New here! I'm planning on using this for one of my children next school year and have a few questions.

First, I expect my child to complete History 1 in one semester ... can she then add History 2 for the next semester or are you only allowed 4 courses total per school year?

And, are there any restrictions on taking more than one science at a time? My daughter wants to do the Earth\Space Science and the Physical Science.

Thanks!

Aime

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Aime,

There are no restrictions on our end, but it might be too much for your child to take that many courses so quickly. The history and sciences are both intended to be year long courses.

The $30 covers 4 courses. Additional courses are $5 each for one year.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

abdesigns is offline Junior Member

Personally, I wouldn't do more than one High School Science course. My oldest is taking Physical Science, and it's a full plate. But, if she can do it, that's great.

mrsmac2775 is offline Junior Member Newbie

The local school district here is on the block system (semester long course = 1 credit) so I am trying to keep my daughter on the same schedule.

reb621 is offline Member

Jackie,
    Will it work like the k-8 where we can just request a move to the next course when they finish the first one, so long as they are only enrolled in 4 at a time (for the $30 rate)? That way, when Aime's daughter is finished with History 1, she could simply move her to History 2 (REPLACING her enrollment in History 1 and so maintaining the 4 courses).

This is what I'm hoping to do with my daughter since we'll be starting high school soon and we go year-round (with vacations, of course).

Also, what's the recommended science progression? The old-school way is Biology, Chemistry, Physics, but many schools have moved to offering a more basic/survey Physics course for freshman that helps kids make the transition to Chemistry and then to Biology (opposite of the old-school progression). Is T4L's science old-school or the new way? (My child struggles, so I'll start her in Earth/Space, anyway, but will need to know this for next year.)

Thanks!
    Rebecca

Blog Entries

Hi Rebecca,

The high school works differently from the lower levels. The courses are one year courses except for the electives. The $30 covers 4 courses and allows one year to complete them. If you finish a course earlier, you are free to start another, but there will be a fee for any new courses. The lower level does allow you to move up without an additional fee, however, you are paying monthly not for a set amount of courses and time. Does that make sense?

As far as order of courses, you will want to check with your state's requirements and follow their recommendations.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

reb621 is offline Member

Hmm, are you certain that's how it will work in practice? Because I emailed the T4L support folks last summer asking if I could begin my child in 9th grade while still having her take 8th Algebra and was told "no," that they had to be in all 9th grade and above classes OR all 8th grade and below courses, and it appears from the many posts on this (since Aug. 2013), that rule was changed. It appears that some folks do indeed have their kids taking the 8th grade Algebra along with English 1, Biology, and a history course.

???

morningmaniac is offline Junior Member

I wanted to start my kids in the high school courses with the exception of language arts. I was told that I could choose 4 courses for $30, so that is what we did. They take 3 high school courses each and the 8th grade LA. T4L also told me that when they completed a course they could begin a new one and there was not any mention of additional fees unless I wanted to add a 5th course, and then it would be $5 extra. Hope that helps.

Blog Entries

Yes, I'm sure, unless policy was changed in the last few weeks. And, yes, they will allow your child to take the pre-algebra and then other high school courses, but you will not have access to any other lower level courses.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie