re: appropriate vs inappropriate dress
    RMDF is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default re: appropriate vs inappropriate dress

Parents of high school children, please help me out, here.

I'm in a discussion (translate: argument) with another adult about the issue of dress codes or more specifically what individual parents consider appropriate and inappropriate dress for young women. Yes, I feel that a young woman should be able to express herself most any way she wants. On the other hand, the parent has the prerogative to exercise their authority regarding what they think is tasteful and what might be a tad too risqué'.

So, between the two extremes of say a traditionally Amish outfit and on the other end, something a "valley girl" might wear to the mall, please give me your input and opinions, and please be as specific as you can.

Since I am new here, I saw the disclaimer,"Your first three posts will not appear until they have been approved by one of our moderators." Well, I'll see if I can come up with a couple other questions so I can get in three posts, at least.

THIS POST is the one I'm most interested in. Thank you.

HylianMum is offline Junior Member

I'm not a fan of purity culture, OR rape culture, so basically whatever SHE wants to wear (and if it's something I prefer she didn't she's welcome to spend her own money on it after a conversation about what message that piece of clothing might send to our patriarchal society so that she at least knows the risks from ignorant people) is cool with me. Also, I'm a huge fan of teaching my sons that it literally does not matter if a girl wears a burlap sack or string bikini, you treat her with the respect she deserves by simply being another human.

monkey is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HylianMum View Post
    I'm not a fan of purity culture, OR rape culture, so basically whatever SHE wants to wear (and if it's something I prefer she didn't she's welcome to spend her own money on it after a conversation about what message that piece of clothing might send to our patriarchal society so that she at least knows the risks from ignorant people) is cool with me. Also, I'm a huge fan of teaching my sons that it literally does not matter if a girl wears a burlap sack or string bikini, you treat her with the respect she deserves by simply being another human.

I couldn't agree more. Very well said!