Science sequence
    foxbridgeacademy is offline Junior Member

Default Science sequence

I have lots of questions but I'll just start with Science and the recommended sequence. On the website it recommends Bio, Earth, Physical, Chemistry, then Physics. My question is can those be "shuffled". Especially the Bio first? I would much prefer to do either Earth or Physical before Bio.
    Actually, my son is in 8th grade and daughter is in 6th and we are currently doing Physical Science, I don't care to repeat it in High School so could we, for my son, do:
    9th- Earth
    10th Bio
    11th Chemistry
    12th Physics

Or are the Science courses built on each other?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You can do them in any order. The recommended sequence was provided in response to parents' requests, and it's just one common way of doing things. Chemistry and Physics require some more advanced math skills, so are often left until students are older.

We homeschoolers are often accustomed to a curriculum that provides "seventh grade science" or "11th grade science", with no decision-making required as far as course content. In a public school, students will be required to take a certain number of science courses, but they are free to choose which ones they want. This is true of other subjects, too. The school may require four language arts credits, but the school may offer six or more choices, including English Literature, Creative Writing, poetry, and so forth. In other words, no student in the school will have studied everything offered, and no two students will leave the school having studied the exact same material.

Time4Learning works the same way. Here is an overview of the science curriculum. You can see that there are five choices for high school. Most students will only do three or four of those during their high school years. (The high school in my area only requires two science credits to graduate.)

Also know that, in T4L, middle school and high school science courses with the same names are entirely different. The high school courses are more in-depth.

The short answer is that you can do them in any order, but I've provided more info to aid in your decision making. I think your plan looks great.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

foxbridgeacademy is offline Junior Member

Thanks.
    I looked over the S&S and the Bio does look much easier then the Chem but it's hard to tell about the Earth Science. Good to know that Bio and Earth are mostly interchangeable.
    We've been very eclectic HSer's in the past (we tend to follow our own road) so no "7th grade Science" planned out kind of thing for us. We have used some of the WTM suggestions in the past but never in the exact way they are recommended. The chore for me will be to just let the kids do T4L without trying to tweak it a bunch. But that's the whole point for us, I need a break and the kids need more consistency.