T4L and College Admissions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By topsytechie

Thread: T4L and College Admissions

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default T4L and College Admissions

One of our Facebook followers posted a question about people who are using Time4Learning for high school and getting into college. Is anyone else at that stage? What are your questions and concerns?
    jpenn likes this.

Sweetpea is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by topsytechie View Post
    One of our Facebook followers posted a question about people who are using Time4Learning for high school and getting into college. Is anyone else at that stage? What are your questions and concerns?
    Hiw can the students graduate high school if they don't get credits?

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sweetpea,

The parents assign the credits just like a teacher would. A one-semester course usually equals 1/2 credit and a full year course usually equals 1 credit. Here's a good credit equivalency guide: Homeschooler's Guide to High School Credits

tdbonney is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son is just starting HS, but of course college is always at the back of my mind! Although T4L keeps track of grades and such I don't plan to use T4L for college admission. I do realize however that I'll need a transcript of what he accomplished during HS. As homeschoolers we are on a 3yr plan for HS instead of the traditional 4yr plan. After finding out what requirements there were for our local college and universities, we chose to use Homeschool Tracker Plus to input information into. All his classes (credits), lessons, assignments, grades, extra curricular activities, EVERYTHING is being inputted into the system so that once we finish up HS we can use the program to print out a full transcript which can be used for college admission.

reb621 is offline Member

SweetPea,
    You can check your state's Dept. of Ed. site to see how many credits they require. My state requires 40, with 2 per year for core classes (1 per semester) and 1 per year (1/2 per semester) for electives (language, art, music).

Once mine complete their T4L courses, I'll enter the grades and # of credits earned into a transcript/report card template. (You can Google these or check the Homeschooling High School site). I also have a "cumulative GPA" column so that when they finish 12th grade it will show that as well. (I just Googled templates and noticed that we can include standardized test scores, too! Since I test my kids with the Iowa test from BJU Press Testing and Evaluation Service | BJU Press, I'll include that, too.)

If you live in a state with few requirements, it will be up to you to "assign" and keep track of grades and credits earned. Plus you can assign credits for things they do offline, too! Mine are taking a Spanish class through our community center as well as a computer programming class (Javascript) for teens from the library. Both of those will qualify as electives, so 1/2 credit per semester. They also attend a homeschoolers' science program once/mo at a science museum, but I won't assign credits for that since I consider it the "lab" element of their T4L science. I will still list it on the report card, though, as evidence of labwork. (But you could give that 1/2 credit & call it a "lab" if you wanted.)

I encourage parents to write down everything their kids do because there will be days that you feel you've gotten nothing accomplished. But when you see it on paper, you realize how much your kids are really doing and what an awesome educational experience they're really getting!