Who do I go to if an answer in the answer key is wrong?
    lac.ddclc is offline Member

Question Who do I go to if an answer in the answer key is wrong?

If I find a wrong answer on an answer key, who do I go to to have it corrected?

In Geometry, Chapter 2, Authentic Task: Logic and Proof, GE1412, the instructions for #5 are:
    Write the inverse and the converse for the following statements.

5. If the car is running then the key is in the ignition.

My son wrote:
    If the car isn't running then the key isn't in the ignition.
    If the key is in the ignition, then the car is running.

The answer key has:
    If the car is not running then the key is not in the ignition.
    If the key is not in the ignition then the car is not running.

The first statement for the inverse matches (ignoring my son's use of contractions), but the second statement the answer key gave is not the converse that was required. Instead it gave the contrapositive (both converse and inverse combined), which I don't believe was covered yet.

Having accurate answer keys is important for homeschooling parents, especially since there is no recourse for the students to challenge a grade and have it changed. In this case it's a worksheet that I grade, so it's not included in my son's score report (unlike a mistake we found on a chemistry activity quiz answer key that did affect the grade on his score report), but I would still like to know who I should contact when something like this comes up.

t4lsuzanne is offline Administrator

hi,

We are sorry you found an issue with an answer key! If you think you have found an error or a technical issue please contact the support team at [email protected] or by calling 888-771-0914. They will test it out if it is a technical thing or will report errors to the developer for a fix. Fixes usually happen during a regular maintenance time unless it is an emergency. We appreciate you letting us know when you might find errors. The developer tries hard not to have them but unfortunately they slip through sometimes. I will make sure that this gets sent over to support for you.

Suzanne

I've never believed in the old adage that the customer is always right. However, I've been in customer service for years, and when a customer comes with a concern regarding a product or service, some ways of handling the situation are obviously better than others. Denying the existence of the reason for concern is not one of the good responses. Neither is putting the burden of correcting the situation on the customer. A better response would be to escalate the issue for further investigation. If the customer's concern is valid, correct the error. If the customer's concern is based on a misunderstanding, then provide feedback to the customer, offering details to clarify the issue. Either way, do NOT dismiss a customer's concern without even offering to investigate.

I do not blame T4L for the poor customer service I received today via email from Support. I understand that every CSR is different, and even a good CSR can have a bad day. But the CSR does represent the company no matter what kind of day he may be having, and because of one thoughtless response from one person, T4L now has one very unhappy customer.

UPDATE: I did receive an apology a few hours later.
    Last edited by lac.ddclc; 09-14-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Update

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately someone at Support already found it and replied via email today. I wish that someone was you. My mood would be very different right now.

No, it's not an emergency, and I can completely understand about doing updates during regular maintenance. We all make mistakes. The best thing to do is to correct them if we can, learn from them, and move on.

I was in the middle of typing that venting reply when yours was submitted. It took a while because I had to delete a good portion of it. Your response is actually a good example of the kind I was referring to when speaking of better responses from customer service.

Leigh Ann