1st Math questions
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By asnmdirteha

Thread: 1st Math questions

AnointedHsMom is offline Junior Member

Question 1st Math questions

I posted this in the other main forum but I thought maybe some of the homeschoolers here would have experience and be able to help me. We've done T4L before so I'm familiar with it. I'm considering signing my 1st grader back up for the math. In looking over the lesson plans I'm curious if there is continuous practice with addition and subtraction or if I would need to add practice. It looks like only 1 chapter is on addition and subtraction.

Thanks,
    Paige
    In Christ,
    Paige in TN
    Married to the love of my life Adam
    Mom to Joshua 13 Abeka and ACE, All About Spelling
    Jacob 6 All About Reading, HWOT, T4L, Abeka, FAIR
    http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Chapter 3 focuses on the actual addition and subtraction process. In Chapter 4 you use this process to add and subtract money. In the chapter on patterns you will see addition used to develop patterns. The chapter on algebra uses addition and subtraction again. So you can see how it is spread out over the course of the year. They do not sit and do math problem after math problem to practice these skills. But they use the skills to do the other math work. Each year addition and subtraction skills are repeated in more difficult levels. My son was using addition and subtraction this week in figuring out number patterns that were quite complicated in fourth grade math.

If you feel that your child needs more practice in this area you could pick up something like the Kumon workbooks. I have used them in the past.
    Strouse House likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

AnointedHsMom is offline Junior Member

Thanks Kathi. I signed him back up today and he got started. I've decided to use my Abeka workbook as more practice. We started out with their DVD program but he begged to not use the dvd teacher. I didn't get the lesson plans since we went with the dvd's. He saw me on the T4L website and asked to do it again. He said "For some reason I want to do Ed mouse again." LOL He about busted a gut today waiting for them to make him active again. I flipped through his Abeka workbook and decided to just do a page a day along with the T4L activities and I think he'll be fine. He also plays Times Attack's addition and subtraction game so I'm not worried about him at all.

Thanks again.
    In Christ,
    Paige in TN
    Married to the love of my life Adam
    Mom to Joshua 13 Abeka and ACE, All About Spelling
    Jacob 6 All About Reading, HWOT, T4L, Abeka, FAIR
    http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sounds like he is getting plenty of practice.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

asnmdirteha is offline Junior Member

Another great website to try out is Beestar. My daughter was struggling with her math homework so I had to ask various parents on what they suggested and their recommendation was Beestar. I am able to cater to her learning style and speed which greatly helps build her confidence in various subject matters. Beestar also offers different subjects (math, writing, science, social studies etc.) which really helped also with any of her weaknesses. I am able to check online on her progress when I am still at work and it really helps to give her the extra exercises and attention she needs.
    Strouse House likes this.