4th grader needing to move back to 3rd grade math but stay in all other 4th grade sub
    LaurieTX is offline Junior Member

Default 4th grader needing to move back to 3rd grade math but stay in all other 4th grade sub

My 4th grader is struggling in his math lessons & I was wondering if I can move him back to 3rd grade math (until he can catch up & has a good understanding of math) at T4L & keep him in all the rest as 4th grade subjects? Then once he catches up, move him back to the 4th grade level of math. He's doing just fine with those. BTW...we're new to homeschooling & T4L...

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums and to homeschooling Laurie. That is totally fine. Just go in under your parent login and click on your student. You will see a link to change his grade level. Just set it to thrid grade for math only and you're good to go. My son was using three different grade levels at one point. If you want to just try it out without making a permanent change you can just click on the little box at the top of the page of his lessons. It should say 3, 4, 5. Just click on the 3 to set is work back to third grade for just that subject and just that day.

If you set him completely back to third grade you may find that he already knows some of the material. When I was in this situation with my son I let him take the chapter tests. If he did well on the test we moved on to the next chapter. If he didn't do well we went back and did the work for that chapter. This way he did not have to repeat things he already knew.

Please let us know if you need any help with anything. You might want to join your state forum. Just look for the link at the top of this page that says State Forums. Click on that and then click on your state.

Best wishes on this wonderful journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

LaurieTX is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much Kathi! He is doing terrible in 4th grade math! I have to sit with him & explain most everything & do each quiz problem with him...I help him while he works it out...but it's frustrating for both of us.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That does make it difficult. I'm sure dropping him back a grade level will help a lot. If you find it still doesn't help you could drop him back another level.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota