Any advice on wrether to home school a "behavior disorder" child with anxiety?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any advice on wrether to home school a "behavior disorder" child with anxiety?

SherryK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Any advice on wrether to home school a "behavior disorder" child with anxiety?

I'm considering the option of home schooling my child who's in 6th grade. He has been in a behavior focused class since kindergarten. He is a sweet, polite child. He is being treated for anxiety, ADHD, and has been diagnosed with PTSD in the distant past. A recent change in schools has ended in 2 legal charges in 8 days. He's continuously in the company of many other children with behavior disorders, being called names constantly and is incapable of ignoring it. His behavior has reached the point of him being verbally and, in some cases, physically aggressive to teachers. While some people strongly suggest not homeschooling a child like mine because of the needed social interaction, I am afraid of him staying in these classes with things only getting worse. I NEED advice.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm just a mom so I really can't give professional advice. If my child was being bullied in school, I would remove him from the school setting. Yes, he needs social interaction. But a good homeschool group can provide that interaction. And the best part of it is that you are there to see how he is interacting with the other kids. You can step in and provide the redirection as it is needed. Teachers who are overwhelmed with large classrooms can't and sometimes won't do this. Perhaps you can get involved in a local homeschool group and attend some activities with your child to see how it goes. I don't know where you are located but I know there is a good group in the Quad Cities. You might want to check out the Iowa Parent Forum on here as well.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

LaWanda McPeak Sanders is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son was pretty much in the same situation. He has ADHD, GAD, and Aspergers Syndrome. He gets bullied by other children who tease him while the teacher isn't looking and the teacher only sees his response. He was in a theraputic alternative school at one point where they told me that this was what happened. We got so tired of the bullying that we took him out of school this year and started homeschooling him. He is doing so much better. We went from a child that hated school, because it had such negative connotations for him, to a child that loves to learn! What a lot of people don't appreciate is that there are many ways for a child to socialize. I work but don't consider my work relationships socialization. My son socializes with other children at our church, in sports, and this summer he is starting The Boys and Girls club. Good luck to you and your son in whatever you choose.

Blog Entries

Socialization is one of those subjects that people will throw out there to make you think you can not homeschool. I think they still have images of a mom standing in front of the room with the kids sitting at desks all day and never leaving the house. Believe me, we socialize. We socialize so much sometimes we don't have time to do school work.

WritingMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

This is why we are now homeschooling our kids. I will be making a post about it, so I won't get into detail here, but I want to say that it might be just the right move for your child.

As for socialization, they get it in other ways. To be honest, I really don't think school is the best place for socializing anyway, but I'm not saying that is wrong, either. At any rate, is a kid who is struggling to stay focused in school really socializing anyway? So what socialization would they really be losing out on?

There is a homeschooling family at my daughter's gym and her kids are the sweetest, calmest, most socialized kids I've ever met. They are an amazing, well-adjusted family that ANYONE would envy. The 'weird homeschooled non-socialized kids things' is a myth.
    jpenn likes this.

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

I believe there is a time for a socialization reset. When your child is making friends that put them in bad situations its time for one. More time with mom or dad to help relearn and form good habits is a better option.
    Robin and sstancel68 like this.

Blog Entries

That is so true Brook. That is exactly why a lot of parents take their kids out of public school. In my opinion, homeschooled kids are better behaved than public schooled kids because they get more influence from their parents and less from the peers at school.
    Robin likes this.

lambertm is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have a 8 yr old boy who has signs of ADD and has high anxiety. has had 2 anxiety induced seizures. I have him in public school and he had a fear of failure. many ADHD children are bright, but when the social norm starts to invade something needs to be done. Although I am not taking my son out of public school I am using home school as a way of building his confidence. He had a teacher tell him he wasn't any good and was held back in K. Being able to study at home as well as at school, he can then go and "show off" that he knows the stuff. I am continueing through summer to build his confidence and keep him from loosing what he knows. I don't put him in any special programs at school for ADD or ODD, which the school counselor said he had, because he needs to learn to live with what he has. Just build the confidence. Praise him for every little bit of accomplishment.

Blog Entries

I'm glad this is working for your child. We each have to find what works best for our child and our family.

sstancel68 is offline Junior Member

Wow, you need to report that teacher that put him down like that. As far as special programs, I would utilize the IEP program for him in the school system so that they can spend a little more one-on-one time with him. My son has ADD and PTSD. He was also tested and found out he is a Kinestetic Learner. Once this was provided to the teacher, she changed the way she taught him. It worked very well. He's starting 1st grade but because I feel he needs more personalized attention, I am homeschooling him here on T4L with supplementals. It's working out great. He loves it. The IEP might be worth a look into.
    N

Quote Originally Posted by lambertm View Post
    I have a 8 yr old boy who has signs of ADD and has high anxiety. has had 2 anxiety induced seizures. I have him in public school and he had a fear of failure. many ADHD children are bright, but when the social norm starts to invade something needs to be done. Although I am not taking my son out of public school I am using home school as a way of building his confidence. He had a teacher tell him he wasn't any good and was held back in K. Being able to study at home as well as at school, he can then go and "show off" that he knows the stuff. I am continueing through summer to build his confidence and keep him from loosing what he knows. I don't put him in any special programs at school for ADD or ODD, which the school counselor said he had, because he needs to learn to live with what he has. Just build the confidence. Praise him for every little bit of accomplishment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast