Any Helpful Tips..?
    tamtam is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Any Helpful Tips..?

Hi, My little brother and sister are in the T4L program I just wanted to be able to give more - u know when their lessons for the day are over - what are some good ideas - projects - that I could start with them?
    She's only six and he's seven. I've taken up getting recipes and having them help me in the kitchen, but I doubt that's enough to keep their busy minds going.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--Also, my little sister has completed the kindergarten course, if I move her up to first, can I still copy and print her records from Kindergarten??

Irondale is offline Junior Member Newbie

I SO understand. Right now I think Im not going to worry about it. Mine are 5 and 7 and plus a 2 yr old. We do go to the park on thur, but mostly they do imaginative play, read word flash cards or whatever we come up with. I feel right now its not a BIG issue but sometimes I do feel like I should do more. I know this probably doesnt help but thats my 2 cents.

Sonja Philip is offline Junior Member Newbie

google experiments for kids - you will come up with a ton of inexpensive fun little experiments that yall can do.

art is always a good filler. (keep in mind, this includes "lego building" for boys - or girls!!) .... ANY kind of creating really tends to be fun and stimulating.

you can have them start on their own scrapbook. If you take pictures digitally, you can go anywhere from a regular scrapbook with pictures and embellishments to printing your pictures on regular paper and having them make a "scrapbook" in a binder. If they went on a field trip where you have no pictures (or just did something) - have them draw a picture from the day or event and write a bit about it.

and most importantly - let them play! at those ages particularly, filling their day with "school" is simply not important. Learning through play is one of the things public schools take away from kids way too early.

if they get bored in their play, you can help them structure it and sneak a little learning in there easily with role playing/dress up - which most kids that age enjoy (maybe not all). but you can help put together costumes and find props and let them........ serve lunch playing waitress and customer with you as the cook/manager...... playing office was my "thing" as a kid (geekette here)..... playing pirates and such opens up the door to more and more reading - in my opinion......

whatever you do - remember that leaving the fun IN is OK!
    sonja

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

All of their records will be available, even though they have moved up a grade level. However, since no technology is perfect, Time4Learning recommends printing periodic reports.

Read aloud to your siblings! Studies show that children who are read to frequently tend to do better academically in ALL subjects . . . not just reading.

Have them count things in the pictures (fence posts, baby animals, flowers).

Try to figure out what medium the illustrator used. Are the pictures pencil drawings, paintings, crayon, colored pencil, photos? Notice that some books are illustrated in black-and-white, some in just two or three colors, and some in full color. Have them try to produce some similar illustrations.

Talk about the plot. What could really happen? What could NEVER happen? Encourage them to act out a scene in the story.

Discuss the terms "author" and "illustrator". Write them a fan letter! My kids have received a variety of replies from these kinds of letters, including one author who sent my daughter an autographed poster of the cover of his book!

Look on a map to see where the story takes place.

Find a coloring page here. If the story was about a dog, color a dog. If the story was about firemen, color a fireman. For variety, use glitter, glue, paint or stickers to decorate the page.

Cook something mentioned in the book.

Go on a book-related field trip. Even a trip to the grocery store can be an adventure if it's preceded by a story that takes place in a store. Try to find some of the things mentioned in the story, such as an escalator or the produce department.

For more ideas, search "Picture Book Activities" on the Internet.

Have fun!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

sonjavon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Read!!!!

Probably the best thing that you can do with them is READ. Look at what they're learning about and find books that are related to the their studies. Read to them, have them read to you and then create mini book reports. Showing them how to summarize what they've read will really pay off for them in the future!!!