Clueless
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: Clueless

MO3
    MO3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Clueless

Moved back from being overseas and still don't have a car so opted for hs. I have been wanted to take that leap but wanted to do some research but have no time. I am clueless as to how many activities and subjects my children (K, 2nd, & 4th) should be doing a day, so if anyone can help with that info I would greatly appreciate it. I heard hs schooling should take 5-6 hours but my kids are finished with all the subjects and lessons in about 1-1 1/2. We are staying in the Plymouth, MI. area at the moment while we are househunting so if anyone out there know of any homeschooling classes, conferences or groups please let me know. Thanks guys!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi MO3, It's so nice to meet you. Your best place to find answers to questions about local support groups, field trips, and things like that would be to go to your state Parent Forum. There is a drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. Click on that and then click on your state.

Homeschool does not have to take 5 or 6 hours per day. Public schools are in session for 6 hours per day but very little of that time is spent on learning activities. A great part of the day is spent lining up for recess, lunch, bathroom, library, and things like that. Then you have the time spent settling back down in the classroom after lunch, recess, bathroom, and library. They have to take time to take attendance, time for lunch count, time to settle disputes, and time to gather materials together. Then there is the time actually spent at recess, lunch, bathroom, and library. There are many other breaks in the school day that you would not have at home. For a kindergarten child I would say no more than 30 minutes to 1 hour per day on actually sit down learning. Then you have time for reading and time for learning by watching and helping mom. Almost everything you do is a learning activity. Even setting the table for dinner involves counting out the plates that are needed and things like that. As your child grows older you will spend a little more time each day on sit down learning. With my fourth grader we never spend more than 2 hours per day.

Under your Parent login you will find a scheduler. You plug in the dates you start and the dates you want to finish as well as the material you want to cover. It will tell you how many lessons in each subject you need to do each day to complete your school year on time.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have either here or in your state forum.
    Pashta likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota