Courses of Study...
    kloving70 is offline Junior Member

Question Courses of Study...

I am new to homeschooling...have just began the process of investigating the possibility...

My question is how do you decide what to teach - courses anyway...

For example T4L teaches LA, reading, science, social studies and math...I can also do spelling and writing.

How do you know what to teach...

What about art, music, PE, computer skills, library/research skills, organization and time management (imperative for mom of ADHD child), Spanish, geography, journaling?

How much is too much? How much is not enough?

LOL - this can be quite overwhelming. I am glad I have a few months to figure it out.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You don't say how old your child is so it is hard to say what they need to study. Iowa law does not specify which subjects need to be taught. But most states require Language, Math, Social Studies, Science, State History, and PE. Time4Learning does include history in the social studies curriculum, but you would have to add something for your state history. This depends on the age of your child. I would discuss this with your supervising teacher. You might want to check out the Iowa Parent Forum. You will meet others from your state who can help you with all the ins and outs of state law. Connect with a good homeschool support group in your area. They will be able to help you navigate the waters of homeschooling.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks Kathi - and my daughter is 8.

Thanks Kathi - I don't even have a supervising teacher yet LOL Still very new. My daughter is finishing 2nd grade in public school and then we are going to begin homeschool in Fall 2012 with 3rd grade. I am so new and having difficulty finding a support group in my area.

Unfortunately the Iowa forum is very slow except for me and the moderator LOL

Blog Entries

Unfortunately that is the way it is with some of the state forums. But keep asking your questions and hopefully someone will answer them. Find some local support groups that you can connect with. They will be able to help you find someone local. My daughter has a great supervising teacher that she loves in LeClaire. I know she is part of a homeschool group in the Quad Cities too. But I don't know if either of these is close to you. I have a nine year old son who has used time4learning since preK. My grandchildren (who live in Iowa) are 13, 14, and 5. The five year old has never been to school. The older two have been in and out of homeschooling. But I think they are home to stay now.

Blog Entries

Try searching yahoo groups by putting in Iowa and Homeschool.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kloving70 View Post
    I am new to homeschooling...have just began the process of investigating the possibility...

My question is how do you decide what to teach - courses anyway...

For example T4L teaches LA, reading, science, social studies and math...I can also do spelling and writing.

How do you know what to teach...

What about art, music, PE, computer skills, library/research skills, organization and time management (imperative for mom of ADHD child), Spanish, geography, journaling?
    Outside of the basics that are covered in T4L, what is vitally important to you and/or the other parental unit? Be sure to cover it.
    Aside from the basics and what is important to you, what interests your child? Try to include it.
    After this, if there is time and energy, go for any other things that are available and look interesting.

How much is too much?
    If the child's eyes glaze over, it is time to stop that particular lesson and move on. If there are daily bouts of crying, fit throwing, or other emotional melt downs over school, then you may be trying to do too much! (It may also be a sign of fatigue, allergies, learning differences, etc. As a mother who will be teaching her child, look for those changes in your child's normal behavior that would indicate that the school days have become too long.)

How much is not enough?
    If a child is requesting more (more information, more time on a topic, etc.), it is time to delve deeper into that particular lesson. If you are not seeing adequate educational progress, you may not being doing enough. (Again- lack of education progress may also be a sign of fatigue, allergies, learning differences, etc. As a mother who will be teaching her child, look for those changes in your child's normal behavior that would indicate that the school days have become too short, too easy, or too slow.)

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Thanks Mandy! I think I may be overthinking things...LOL Just need to relax, have fun and let the natural learning occur. focus on the 3 R's and let everything else develop naturally.

If I could find a local group I think I would be more confident...as it is I feel very isolated in this decision.

Blog Entries

Those local groups are so important to mom as well as child. You need to surround yourself with others who believe in what you are doing.

Blog Entries

Forums can be slow at times. I think this time of year people are winding down on school and focusing more on summer time things. Finding a good supervising teacher will help you focus on what courses to study with your daughter. Mandy also mentioned what is most important to you. To me that would be reading and math. For everything else I think you can look it up. I make sure my son has a general handle on what things have happened historically, but I don't think he needs to memorize a bunch of facts that can be accessed online in seconds. I personally don't care when the war of 1812 was fought. Just the fact that our country fought a war is sufficient for me. It is also important to focus on what your child is interested in. For my son that means we spend a great deal of time learning about space, astronauts, and planets.