Court Hearing Tomorrow 2/28 Re: My Right to Homeschool my Children
    KMCS is offline Junior Member Newbie

Angry Court Hearing Tomorrow 2/28 Re: My Right to Homeschool my Children

My oldest is a special needs child, enrolled in 7th grade at a public middle school. My youngest is just in Kindergarten at a public elementary school. Due to many circumstances beyond my control, truancy has become a big issue to the school. (This is such a LONG story.) The assistant commonwealth's attorney here in VA has included in the order that I am not allowed to homeschool my children. I have never heard of it being up to the school system, courts or anything/anyone else to decide if a parent may or may not homeschool. I was once told the 'Intent to Homeschool' letter is not a letter of request. Homeschooling one's children is a right. Does ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING about this? I had just submitted my letter, then boom, 2 days later, I'm in court again. By the way, I did read the entire statute that speaks to the specifics of the law here in VA--found nothing like this. And, I did give them the one supporting document required--my high school transcript--sealed by the school. I have an attorney, but she knows nothing about homeschooling laws. Unfortunately, there is a LIST of requirements in the order, so I am hoping she can get this one and a few others knocked off. Tomorrow is when the attorneys argue before the judge about what should/should not be included in the court order. <sigh>

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You need to contact the HSLDA immediately. They know how to handle this type of case and they have lawyers in your area who know homeschool law. Good luck on this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

coopfam91@gmail.com is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree with Kathi. I hope you were able to contact HSLDA. They are awesome! You might want to also contact an Advocacy Lawyer in your area ASAP. Do not ever let the public school system 'scare' you into thinking 'they' control your rights about your child's education.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The OP has not been back since her first frantic post. I wish she would stop back by and let us know how things went in court. I hope she is okay.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota